1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How we should speak to guitarists.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WI Short Scaler, Dec 21, 2018.

1. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    My dad played a rock covers gig back in the 70's and 80's that lined up as keys, sax, drums & vocals. No guitar OR bass. They were one of the hottest acts around town for years.

MattZilla, mikewalker and Mr_Moo like this.
  2. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    You can use Q++ for all I care, the point was if the key between F and G is generally a sharps key or a flats key. It's generally a sharps key. Doesn't mean it's always that if specific circumstances indicate otherwise. And the idea that you can confuse someone by telling them to play in Gb rather than F# is lame, much like assuming bassists don't know the difference between a major and a minor key because they only play roots and fifths.

jamro217 likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Let me save some time for you all... just say “second fret”;)

4. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Just send a text

5. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I avoided it altogether, when I started a band with sax, bass and drums--and nothing else--about 10 years ago.
    With the right players and imaginative arrangements, you can have:
    Intensity, without a typical guitarist's volume; consistency, without a typical keyboard player's lack of availability....
    And did I mention, without said keyboard player stepping all over your basslines--a subject already well- covered in another thread.

A lot of fun, but admittedly, harder to book...

6. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Things I actually say to guitar players:

"I'm really drowning you out, does your amp have a midrange knob? Crank those mids."

"How about If I hold the groove in this section so you can play a lead section?"

"Can you really not hear when you're out of tune?"

"Those power chords sound cool and all, but can we try it again with the minor third on the first chord, the major seventh on the second chord, and a suspended second on the third? Root/fifth playing is my turf!"

7. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Nah you have to be more subtle than that with guitarists, something like "will you shut the **** up!". Won't make any difference but it makes you feel better for about 20 seconds

8. Guitarists seem to pick up an understanding of music theory (and practice) from other guitarists, which exists at anywhere from 60 to 180 degrees from standard music theory.

9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Speak calmly and use small words.

hintz, Wisebass and Jay2U like this.
  10. I'm not following you. There are six changed notes either way:

F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Gb

And either way there is one changed note which is enharmonic to a natural. E# or Cb, respectively.

What am I missing?

john m and dreamadream99 like this.
  11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Generally this is an incorrect statement.
    I recently played an arrangement in Cb.

12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Generally, your responses are just argumentative and confrontational. Welcome to my ignore list.

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Truthful and accurate too.

waveman likes this.
  14. Is it modulating down for a key change, or just going to the F#m chord? Because F#m is in the key of G major.

15. Beginner and intermediate guitar music is in sharp keys, to take advantage of the open strings; beginner and intermediate school band music is written in flat keys, to take advantage of the open native key of brass instruments.

If they don’t progress to an expert level, guitarists get very little exposure to flat keys (unless they join the school band); and, if school band students don’t progress to an expert level, they get very little exposure to sharp keys (unless they play in the string orchestra).

At the expert level, all keys are fair game.

16. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Key modulation

17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    There is a progression to getting there.
    Community bands help bridge the gap.

18. Because ficelles asserts that the key between F and G is a sharps key, when, in fact, it can be notated in F# or Gb—both are valid and legitimate keys.

vvvmmm and 12BitSlab like this.
  19. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Words of two syllables or less usually work.

jamro217 likes this.
  20. If you keep ignoring everyone who disagrees with you, you’ll never see accurate music theory posts again.

12BitSlab likes this.