1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How we should speak to guitarists.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WI Short Scaler, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I never really had to go beyond grunts and gestures with them.
    The trick is fair and consistent reward for good behavior. Keep a supply of fresh bananas handy.

2. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Bahahah!!!

3. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    In music notation, the key between F and G is a sharps key. The key is F# because the changed notes from the natural notes are sharps. It's a sharps key rather than a flats key because there are fewer changed notes that way.

But if you're in a key that already contains the note F then you can't have F#, so you use the note Gb...

4. 2BitHack

2BitHack

Nov 11, 2014
    AZ
    And be prepared to dodge when they start flinging poo at you.

hintz, jamro217 and SactoBass like this.
  5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    That's usually coming from the drummer. You need to keep a whip handy for them. Establish dominance early or they will never respect you.

hintz, mikewalker and jamro217 like this.
  6. Theory hijack follows:
    ...or a flat key.

...or flats.

Actually, F# has 6 sharps, and Gb has 6 flats. So, really, the same number of changes either way.

This is the only accurate statement in your post, but not for the reason you think.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    THIS!!!

bassdude51 likes this.
  8. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    The flat vs. sharp thing is interesting to me. Why, dremadream99 do you say ficelles is wrong?

FWIW (and I started on and still play guitar), I think of the keys basically as:
    A Bb B C C# D Eb E F F# G G#.

But where there's a reason to call, say, F# by the name Gb, then I do - for example, a descending modulation ...

An ascending might then cause Eb to be called D#.

IME, in everyday use, I encounter F# chords all of the time, as well as Eb chords. I never encounter Gb or D# chords by those names.

Mebbe I need to play more jazz? :smug:

Joebarnes likes this.
  9. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I've always suspected that the note F resented being renamed E# in the key of F#, and the note B resented being renamed Cb in the key of Gb. Those temperamental little notes!

hintz, mikewalker, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  10. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    I've had good luck communicating with rhythm guitar players. You can usually get their attention by offering them a beer. Lead guitar players are untrainable, they are a feral species.

11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Well get you, Beethoven :) So how many classical grades do you have?

12. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    That's why we make good bass players, as long as we remember to groove and not solo alla time. :thumbsup:

13. getbent

getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    "What do you mean there's no dynamics? I'm playing as loud as I can!"

hintz, Wisebass, juancaminos and 2 others like this.
  14. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    If you *really* want to bake a guitarist's noodle, let them have their sharps and insist on playing in the key of G# major...

jamro217 likes this.
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    "That's amazing! That may be the most creative use of intonation I have ever heard! I think you invented a new note."

hintz, mikewalker, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

"Wow......those unique facial expressions you make when playing guitar are so bizarre that it's scary!" :jawdrop:

17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Don't. Start your bands with saxophonists and pianists instead of guitarists. If a song or two absolutely needs guitar, either a sax or keys player can probably learn the part in a week or two.

mikewalker, Mr_Moo and 2112 like this.
  18. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    What key signature do you use if the song starts in G major then modulates down a half step?

noelpaz likes this.
  19. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    That single modulation, I would just call it F#.

It would more likely be Gb where there was something like Bb A Ab G Gb F E Eb going on.

On the other hand, ascending, I would say, Eb E F F# G G# A Bb.

Could be incorrect, certainly inconsistent, but that's how I do it, me.

ficelles likes this.
  20. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Its best to just avoid any guitarists who are knuckle draggers or shred heads in the first place. If a band you're thinking of joining has a teenage guitarist with a Marshall stack and 3 Metal-Zones on his board, keep looking. If the guitarist can't answer a simple question like, "what key was that solo in?" keep looking. And if he pretends he can't hear you when you ask, "what does it sound like with less distortion?"...that's right, keep looking. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    jamro217 and Mr_Moo like this.