1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How we should speak to guitarists.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WI Short Scaler, Dec 21, 2018.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I'll just tell my classical musical teachers they were wrong then, be right back. May as well chuck all those classical grade certificates in the trash while I'm at it...

I only ignore confrontational people and trolls.

2. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    If you'd read through the thread, I said the key between F and G is generally referred to as F#, which it is. I didn't say always. Sorry if that escaped you.

4. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    Perhaps this could help the discussion about flats and sharps, hope you find these interesting:
    1) sharps and flats “appear” to generate the scales of each one of the 12 tones, following the circle of 5ths (on both directions) from C major
    2) Starting from C, going “up” you get G major which has 1 sharp, F#. Following that logic, the shaps continue F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#, generating the scales of G, D, A, E, B, F# and C#. Same with flats, going on the opposite direction, by 4ths to complete the circle
    3) this is nothing more than a very ingenious convention, to provide some order to what otherwise would be a very tough to grasp concept
    4) F# and Gb are not the same sound actually. The distance between F and G is measured in 9 “commas”, F# is F+4 commas, while Gb is G-5commas. This applies only to fretless instruments and it is a concept almost abandoned all together
    5) Please don’t fight about this; remember we are viruses in a dying planet trapped in a universe extinguishing while it keeps expanding. I thought about sharing this item to put things into perspective.

I hope this helps,

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    john m, mikewalker, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  5. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Not really. Perhaps you were thinking of F#m7b5 or F#dim.

Not to say that a song in the key of G can't ever use an F#m chord, just that that the C# in that chord isn't from that key.

john m likes this.
  6. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Nothin', I was just sayin' how I say it.

Altho' I confess, it's also how everyone I ever knowed that could say anything about it says it.

But mebbe that's a Chicago thing.

Y'know, like, rat-a-tat-tat.

7. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Yes.

But in my experience, what is mine and evidently not yours(?), it's almost always called F#, and it certainly causes less confusion amongst the punters I know to call it so ...

8. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    In my experience I've seen the key of Gb more often than F# in sheet music, but the key of F# more than Gb in chord charts.

I think whether you're more likely to see one than than the other really depends on what instrument you play and what style of music.

hintz, vvvmmm and john m like this.
  9. Yes, sorry, I had a brain fart.

Wisebass, zZippy and nnnnnn like this.
  10. Ha, what's up with everybody using line 6 lately? They're trash. They drop speakers, and fry tubes like it's what they were made for? I dont get it. It's like everybody's just simply forgot that their grandfather's Marshall's, Peavey's, and Mesa's are still going as strong as the day they bought them. They most likely sound even better now then they did then too. Pfhh, guitarist right?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  11. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I know Spider amps get their share of hate, but people love the Helix stuff and I still see a lot of pros using DL4s.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

"Hello, boys and girls. I'd like to be your neighbor. Can you say that? Neighbor. Sure you can. There's Lady Elaine. Hello, Lady Elaine..." Something like that only more musically related. :cool:

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    How we should speak to guitarists.....

SLOWLY AND WITH SMALL WORDS

hintz likes this.
  14. zZippy

zZippy

Oct 13, 2018
    British Columbia
    I love how this went from a joke to a theory lesson on Gb/F# minutiae.

15. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

In jazz, we usually say Gb if it's the root key. I can read charts that would say Gb and F# in the song or even in a bar without getting confused, however inconsistent the switching is.

I am also a guitarist as well as bassist so saying insults to a guitarist is basically self-loathing.

vvvmmm and Mr_Moo like this.
  16. I only know what I was taught as a grommet, and I daresay it was simplified for our benefit.

As an orchestra grommet, we were told that the main reason why scores were in, say Bb rather than A#, was to avoid key signatures with double sharps. The slight theoretical differences between Bb and A# were glossed over. It was presented as a convention to make our lives easier.
    Obviously F#/Gb and C#/Db can go either way, but didn't occur at the levels I was at.

Jazz guitar teacher was only interested in that to the extent he made use of written music. Rock and folk guitar teachers didn't see it as relevant.

And in the end perhaps it just comes down to convention and convenience.

hintz and john m like this.
  17. Took four pages, but yep - exactly what I was going to say. And not just a theory lesson - also abuse and blocking!

zZippy likes this.
  18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Sharps?

Flats?

What the Gbb… is going on?

I play rounds and trust my ears! :D

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

zZippy, Mr_Moo and 2112 like this.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Yes, you're right. The only guitarists I know who can handle flat keys with ease regularly play with big bands or small jazz ensembles.

As to the whole F#/Gb thing that blew up, I was already thinking of the Gb chord in the context of a major key. For example, Gb as the subdominant chord of Db. You would not call that an F#. The argument about the keys of F# and Gb being enharmonic equivalents was fair though, I didn't think of it that way.

I remember a band rehearsal though where one of the guitarist threw a little fit over my insistence that we not notate a song in D# but in Eb instead... It boggles the mind, especially if the mindset "it's all the same anyway" is so prevalent.

hintz and Mr_Moo like this.
  20. I'm guessing you were notating as a chord chart rather than on a staff? Because D# would require the key signature to be sharps on F C G D A E B F C. Whereas Eb has flats on B E A. I know which score I'd rather write out, even if reading them is essentially the same on a guitar.

hintz, john m and Nashrakh like this.