1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How's the balance on a Warwick bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by worldhater, Mar 18, 2009.

1. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Hi guys, I'm thinking on buying an Ibanez Prestige, but I've also been curious with a Warwick Corvette or a Streamer, at least those shapes are in my budget, so my question is: Do they stay in place when you hang them on you? I've read that many Warwicks have the neck-dive issue and when you reach the neck for some tapping it's really a nightmare, so, I can't tolerate that, it has to be a stable bass. Thanks in advance.

2. billydrew

billydrew

Mar 18, 2009
    I have a Corvette and I've never had that problem it's an awesome bass

3. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have had Corvettes, Streamers, Infinitys, and a Fortress -
    4s and 5s. All were balanced well. I found the Thumb to be neck/headstock heavy. Uncomfortable.

4. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    My Corvette has less neck dive than my Geddy Lee JAzz, IMO it's all in the strap.

5. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I have a Corvette too and i have no problems with balance. It's heavy though, more than Ibanez i think. Heard the dive problem is related to the "Thumb" shape and specially on 5 o 6 string versions.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a Streamer Stage One 5, a Streamer Stage Two 5, and a Thumb BO 6.

I don't have problems with neck dive on any of them, including the Thumb.

7. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I've only found the thumb to be neck heavy.

My Infinity SN balances pretty nicely and isn't very heavy.

8. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    You'll need a thick grippy strap with a Thumb, but once you got one of those not a problem IMHO.

9. People say only the thumb is neckdiving, which I don't find it ot be the case.

10. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I had a Thumb 6 neck thru that was disturbingly neck heavy...comfortt strap and all. It was a heavy beast too, heavier than my Ken Smith which is saying alot. Sounded great but in the end I couldn't wield it for 5 sets and it actually hurt to balance it on my leg during recording sessions. The Streamers (stage I and II) are fantastic basses in the Spector design and balance much better and sound great. I often ask myself why I don't own one.

11. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I never found my Thumb 5 NT to be neck divey, but I did have a wide strap.

12. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot for your quick replies. I didn't think on the weight issue and I think they have only Corvettes to try at the store, to bad the Streamers are by special order. Thanks again.

13. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Thumbs tend to tickle your ankle, but that´s only have the story imho. Due to the small body I found it hangs a little to the left, making the neck even "longer"... but my streamers and vettes always hung perfect.

14. very true about the "longer" neck thing. First time I played my thumb I was like "damn I gotta stretch for that 1st fret". Then I played a couple 35'' lakland skylines and didn't even remembered they were 35'' while playing them. Thought about it later that day.

15. I own 3 Warwicks with the Corvette body style and have never had any balance problems whatsoever. I have also played several Thumbs and, so long as you have a good strap, you shouldn't have any trouble with neck-dive.

16. ARJ

ARJ

Dec 26, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    My '98 Thumb BO 5 has pretty noticable neck dive, even with a thick grippy strap - but sounds incredible, so...

FWIW also bear in mind that the body is pretty small from top -> strings, so resting your RH forearm on the body (if you are a RH player) to keep it from diving could cause your wrist to bend at a very sharp angle - which has given me wrist problems in the past... but as you say, corvette or streamer should be fine!

17. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I have Warwick Corvette and I have no problem with balance. It do feel abity weird at first but once you get use to the ajustment then it all feel good.

I do have problem with balance when using nylon straps but with thick leather strap i have no problem at all.

18. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    My Streamer Stage One (4 str) balances really well, better than Warmoth Jazz I had before.

19. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    My friend has a Corvette and it sits normal. I have a Thumb BO and it's not neck heavy. If you let go of the neck it won't hit the floor. They are designed to sit in a good position for slapping hense why they are called Thumb. The neck does extend out further. Tone of the Thumb is killer though!!

20. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Its all in the strap. Nylon (plastic) straps are slick. If it is padded, and attached to the nylon strap, it should stay put. Woven staps will stay put. I decided it was time to put a $40 levi leather/nylon strap on my nicer basses. I haven't had a problem. My spector is neck heavy and even a simple woven cloth strap stays put.
    Wes