1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hypothetical (not really)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countshockula, May 6, 2010.

1. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    So I have an old Behringer bb115 cab that I fried with my gk 1001 rbII.
    Anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement 15" speaker? Maybe a cross over while I'm at it? The cab has been sitting in my shop for like two years, but it seams a waste to toss it.
    (I'm also way too lazy/short on free time, to figure this out for myself).
    Thanks team!

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Get a replacement from Behringer, which will minimize any time you spend on it.

Using any other speaker will require you to measure the cabinet and ports, then run WinISD to choose a good speaker to match the cab. Since you have little time, the former solution is for you.

Or dump the cabinet on CraigsList and be done with it once and for all.

3. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    I think I would rather use it for firewood than replace it with the same speaker that was in there.
    It has since been replaced with a Avatar neo 410, so I'm not in a hurry, and I have two eminence 12" speakers in the shop awaiting a cabinet or two I'll never build for them.
    My point (I guess) is that I was wondering if anyone knew the specs/dimensions of that cab, or had tried out other speakers in it.

I'm not looking for the greatest thing in the world (It's a blown up behringer) just something fun to **** with, to be the back-up to my back-up.

4. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Also, I'm a die-hard mac user, so frak winisd.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    probably your best bet ;)

maybe an eminence beta 15. it seems to work well in most standard 15" cabs and won't break the bank. don't expect miracles, but you should be able to get an improvement over what was in there for sure.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There are modeling programs for mac too. Your cabinet is likely 3-1/2 - less than 4 cubic feet. The important thing is to see what it's tuned to. Measure the volume of the ports. Cubic inches if it's a rectangular or square port or volume of a cylinder if it's a round port. Then get a good measurement of the net internal space, taking away space taken up by the ports, the speaker itself, handles, etc...internal dimensions. That'll let you know what you're working with, chances are eminence has a couple/three different options that'll work well in there, as does a lot of other manufacturers as well.

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Take the cab, put it in a box, list it on eBay saying it POSSIBLY has a blown speaker, but describe it completely and say no returns. Start it at 99 cents... Put a nice handling fee on the shipping, charge for the box and see how much it brings in the open market.

Its what everybody does to me.

8. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Cool, I have to look into that.

9. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Well, I already trashed the speaker. Being the nerd I am, I tore it apart in the practice space, the minute it died. (had to make sure it was the speaker) I don't really want any money for it. I paid next to nothing for it, and it gave me a bass cab for like 3 years while I was poor. I can afford a new 1x15, but don't need one. I just like messing with stuff, and doing things on the cheap 'cause it's fun. (but if you're interested...lol)

10. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    more suggestions?

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The only plausible answer to this is either, 1)-get a replacement from Behringer, 2) measure the cab and see what else *might* work, or 3) the firewood suggestion.

12. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Ok, well anyone wanna tell me about some of those Mac-friendly speaker modeling programs?

13. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    guess not.

14. Win ISD same as for the Windows platform. You can run it on a Mac using Virtual PC or Parallels. You also have the option to run the program from the web site in Safari. A search on Win ISD should produce the URL. Linear team or something like that.

Remember that not everyone has the sense to run a Mac!! :bag:

Paul

15. Turn it into a fish tank like people do with old TV sets?

16. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Avatar is selling 4 ohm Eminence Delta 15LF speakers for $68 including shipping . They are designed for low end so they are a little mid shy but for $68 they are worth a shot . A Kappalite 3015 is a great replacement too but is quite a bit more expensive .