1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I allways come back to MXR. What is wrong with me !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Havard Ramses, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Havard Ramses

Havard Ramses

Oct 29, 2014
    Oslo
    I'm now looking for an Envelope pedal for my board. Reading reviews and YouTube tests. And keep coming back to Mxr.
    Same happened when i was looking for compressor. Same thing with Preamp.
    For Envelope pedal i want another brand, coz one more Mxr pedal looks lame on my board. I Need something else, but how hard I try I still like the sound on the Mxr best.

2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    They make solidly built and sounding pedals

3. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    No shame in using what works for you!

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    so you want to compromise your sound because of the way it looks on your pedal board? just get the mxr if you like it. i have mxr comp, env filter, and octave on my board. i got the muff bass pi because i preferred the sound... if you like it, play it...

5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you like them, nothing wrong with that! I'm kind of the same with Boss stuff. I've had some more exotic/boutique stuff but I keep on coming back!

Havard Ramses likes this.
  6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    While the MXR BEF isn't a terrible envelope filter, it's not their best one (IMO)

That distinction goes to this vintage guy:

image.

Ridiculously funky. The best filter I've ever tried, not even close to other filters.

7. Recently sold both my mxr bass envelope filter and BOD. Now I want them back.... And I would like another shot with the mxr bass distortion... and the Bass DI +.... the list goes on... GAS is GAS.

Mvilmany, seang15 and HiEnd Basses like this.
  8. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    No problem at all. If it's what you like, then that's the right answer.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    MXR makes very good pedals. What's wrong with you?

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    mxr m81 is all that and a bag of chips

seang15, Pumpkin, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  11. odrive

odrive

Jan 30, 2017
    I'm on my second M80 DI. Second Phase 100 is coming tomorrow. Had both some years ago and missed them. Also gassing for the Echoplex Delay.

12. Play what you want. What's the problem?

pudgychef likes this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Why not just take your MXR pedals and custom paint them? Or have somebody do it for you. You'd be foolish to pass up what you like as well as what works for you purely for cosmetics. Just paint 'em and pretend they're some weirdass boutique pedal nobody's heard about yet. Instant street cred. You betcha!

Here's some inspiration:

Smarties.

seang15, BrentSimons, Ti-Ron and 4 others like this.
  14. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    i like mxr. there is no problem here.

HiEnd Basses likes this.
  15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    As others have said, if you like it play it.
    This is equipment to make music not win a beauty contest, it's not about how it looks all that matters is how it sounds.

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I dont use the pre but use the other 2 you mentioned...
    I agree they sound very good and who cares if you get another...I'm picking up the chours as well.
    For an overdrive I prefer Darkglass and preamp wise...Well if you want clean it's hard to beat the basswitch.

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I just came from NAMM and there were a lot of 'Pseudo Boutique' pedal companies there.

Honestly IMHO

Most (not all) of these companies I think are more concerned with giving these pedals some offbeat hipster name and the artwork then the sound of the pedal itself...

Note: I don't want to say all because I have not heard every single one. I will just put it this way, I have not heard one in the above category that does it for me.

18. Love mxr pedals.

15355612_10207939299335929_2844497517010701784_n.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just because booteek is the craze doesn't mean MXR (really Dunlop, eh?), Boss, Digitech/DOD, EH don't make great stuff. In fact without them the booteeks wouldn't have anything to clone :roflmao:

Worrying about what a pedal looks like ranks as one of the most bizarre things I've ever read at TB.

20. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Use what works for you.

I guarantee nobody is looking at your pedalboard!