1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Am Asexual

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 28, 2013.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Have you had your testosterone levels tested? Are you on any medication like Prozac that would diminish your libido?

2. It's kinda funny how foreign the concept of asexuality is to some. It's not difficult.

3. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    This was going to be my suggestions. Testosterone and Estrogen can really effect this.

I'm not saying you aren't asexual, just saying it might be something to look into.

4. Yeah, I have never understood why heteronormative society, in general, is so flabbergasted with the concept of other sexualities.

I'm not asexual, and I have absolutely no problem understanding it.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, when something is such a big part of most people's lives, it can be hard for some to wrap their heads around it being a big non-issue for others.

I don't think most people are offended or find asexuality creepy in any way. Some are just curious. I think Miss Thunder understood that when she brought it up.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    In fairness, it's not like anyone pried it out of her. She started the thread.

7. True, but in my observation, people don't have this much trouble with other things. For example, when someone hates your favorite food, it's not a confusing incident at all. You just accept that their taste in food is different than your own. Or when people are not moved deeply by music you enjoy. It's just different strokes for different folks.

8. There was a thread before this one, that started with a relationship question, and it derailed into confusion about asexuality.

9. I'm a straight dude who loves sex, but I've never understood the people whose whole ego is wrapped around whether they are getting some or not. Though it may be heresy around these parts, and I've certainly had my one night stands, I am and always will be a quality over quantity guy. If I go a few months dry, oh well, doesn't bother me. The only reason I ever felt bad about it is from other people giving me crap about it. As I get older though, it's definitely becoming more and more of a none issue, and if some wannabe alpha gives me guff about it, they can just go and f*** right off into the sunset.

Just keep on keepin on OP. You'll find someone out there someday that understands what kind of relationship you're after and'll love you for you. In that respect, I'm kinda jealous. In alot of sexual relationships, sex alone can have a tendency mask all kinds of problems and incompatibilities between people who honestly have no business being together.

10. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Apr 8, 2013
    Sex is yucky...
    Yuck!

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think this goes both ways. I don't think you understand what kind of a driving force sex is even to the average person. I'm not obsessed with it. But it crosses my mind quite a bit. I think the same can be said for most people. So, no, it is nothing at all like a favorite food or kind of music. There is no comparison whatsoever. If I were told to choose between giving up sex or giving up my favorite food AND my favorite music the choice would be easy. Sex would win out over both. And I think asexual people have a hard time understanding THAT concept. Sex drive is a very strong thing.

This doesn't make either of us right or wrong. This is simply a subject that is hard to see the other person's perspective. But, again, I don't really have to fully understand everything about you to be your friend. Right? I don't have to get to the deepest level of understanding with regard to every little nuance of every driving force in your life. We can be the best of friends and some thing just "are". I don't have to completely "get it". I just have to accept it.

And that is what I do with all my friends. I don't fully understand what it means to be a minority.... or gay...... or vegetarian. But I don't even try. I just accept my friends as they are. Their personalities, sense of humor, the way they treat others, their respect for me as much as I respect them, the answer to the question "Will they come to me if I really need them?"...... these are the only things I really have to understand.

Who they do or don't bed down with never really pushes me one way or the other.

12. Probably not something to admit publicly, but I think about sexual things a lot more than the average person. But I have no trouble understanding the fact that not everyone's brain is wired like mine. Again, it's an extremely simple concept. Not everyone has the same desires that you do.

13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I've been blessed with many friends in life, but I cannot for the life of me think of a single one who I knew to be asexual (at least not openly). It certainly isn't a difficult concept, and I doubt you'd find many who couldn't understand it from a purely scientific standpoint, but it is understandable how it's uniqueness in regards to human sexuality could take someone by curious surprise.

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    While I understand it, devil's advocate is a fun position to be in:

There is a marked difference between asexuality and MOST other sexualities.

Heterosexuality makes sense biologically. Reproduction and what have you.

Any other sexualities (homo, pan, bi, zoo, etc.) that have some basis in attraction also make sense biologically. The same desires, just in a different direction. Easy.

Asexuality is substantially different than all of the above. The lack of attraction, regardless of going against social norms (or any society, thereby including many other sexualities) is harder to grasp. It's not directed elsewhere, it's just gone.

15. True stuff. I guess its just weird to me seeing people suggest that its something that needs to be checked out by a doctor or somethin. It ain't all that, ya know?

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    When I was a young adolescent, I was what they referred to as a "horndog." I hoped I would grow out of it, but at fifty, I'm afraid they have another word for it, and it's not too complimentary.

People have all different scale of libido, and I reckon you and I are the opposite ends of the scale.

Peace to you, and don't let it define you.

We are a lot more than the sum total of our sexual desire.

17. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    While I have no choice in whether or not I grow older, I flat out refuse to grow UP. :D

18. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    This thread is highly disturbing. On many levels.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Why?

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    +1. Very well said.