1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am suspicious!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by savinggrace, Nov 21, 2006.

1. I have read on here people recommending the Foxrox TZF as a flanger. However, I can not tell if any of these people that have posted have actually played a bass through one.

The reason I ask is because as far as I know, the Foxrox TZF doesnt work too well with bass?!!!

Fess up! Or set me straight!!!

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I posted earlier that I might choose a TZF if I wanted an expensive flanger, but I have not actually tried one yet. I was mostly going on the "idea" of it, and the knowledge that Foxrox makes quality stuff.

3. Bongo- your reviews and such always are dead on. I have heard the TZF with guitar and it is the most amazing flanger that I have encountered. I was skeptical about buying one before hearing ho wit interacts with bass and emailed Dave. He recommended against it as the frequency range is set up to work with guitar- sadly!!!/ madly!!! :mad: - and is how it actually achieves the through zero effect- But I agree, his pedals are of the utmost quality.

4. HOWEVER< if someone has actually experienced something different than this, I would be very interested to hear about it! Because the versitility of the TZF's sounds are unbeatable.

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The Line 6 Liqua-Flange also offers through-zero flanging. I'd be curious to compare the two. Unfortunately, the samples on Line 6's website don't show the through-zero effect.

On a side note, my understanding is that in order to do a proper through-zero flange, you have to slightly delay the unaffected signal. I'm not sure why/how this might affect such an effect's performance with bass. I really love that phase-cancelling swoooosh....

6. To my understanding flanging is made by using a really short delay time and shifting it's duration. Usually this is done by assigning a low frequency occillator <sp?> to shift the short delay's length back and forth from short to longer. A lot of the older analog flangers used the same type of "bucket brigade" chips that you would find powering an analog delay pedal. I think the Foxrox flanger uses these analog delay chips for it's flanging. The Foxrox seems like it would be a cool one as you can hook up a foot pedal to manually adjust the delay time and control the flanger's sweep with your foot. If I were going to be sinking that much money into a flanger for versitility's sake I would recommend trying to check out some of the bucket brigade modules Doepfer offers. They make a lot of different modular synthesizer components, but with more control over the parameters you can do a range of stuff from flanging to longer delays into utter sonic meyhem if one were so inclined. For a good cheaper alternative, a lot of guys on here seem to swear by the Boss BF-2. A lot of the sound samples I've heard have been pretty impressive. And I believe MXR has recently reissued their older style analog flanger, which I've been meaning to try to go check out. Hope that helps a bit.