I bought a Stingray; what strings should I try?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JazzyJacuzzi, Nov 29, 2021.

1. JazzyJacuzzi

JazzyJacuzzi Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2021
    I purchased a four-string Stingray Special HH this morning and I was wondering what strings to try.

I've spent the last decade playing passive Fenders, so I've no idea where to start on such an instrument. My favourite strings on Precisions were La Bella's Deep Talkin' 760FL. I never found anything I absolutely loved on Jazzes, but I was playing DR Sunbeams recently. I did play TI Jazz Flatwounds for a while on both basses. I loved the tension, but preferred the thumpy La Bellas for the Precision and wanted roundwounds for the Jazz.

I don't have a tone in mind. I'm open to anything, but FWIW, I play pop, dance and rock with my band and I'm learning jazz at home. Something not too trebly, maybe? I do like the tone Joe Dart is getting with his signature Stringray strung with Slinky Flatwounds. I think I'd like to go for roundwounds since the Stingray will be only bass, maybe flatwounds?

What are you using with your Stingray?

Peter Torning and Morrighan like this.
  2. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Using GHS Brite Flats

20211024_130144.jpg

and very happy with them :thumbsup:

trothwell and michael_t like this.
  3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    In my MusicMan playing days, I liked DR Hi-Beams and D'Addario XL Nickels the best.

ComeHomeShane, Killing Floor and Lo-E like this.
  4. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm confused...did you want round or flats? If it was mine I would start with a nickel round wounds like D'Addario XLs.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Slinky's

6. JazzyJacuzzi

Sep 17, 2021
    Opened to either, but I think rounds would be a wiser choice since it'll be my only bass.

7. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    If this is like any other thread you should get a flurry of various recommendations :) I also like Labella

Tanner5382 likes this.
  8. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Labella 760FLs and DR Sunbeams are my two favs! I have the Labella’s on my Stingray currently and they sound great. The Sunbeams honestly sound good too, so it’s more what general tone you are looking for but I like both. Currently my mood is a lot of pick playing, and the DTFs, Ray and pick are a great sound. Good luck!

PS - I have also found EB Slinkies to sound good on Rays as well, but haven’t played them in a while.

cataract likes this.
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    For years I strung two Rays with D’Aquisto nickel rounds. When D’Aquisto went bust I switched to D’Addario XLs after trying several other options. I think they’re a good all-around string.

10. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I always think that StingRays sound great with the Super Slinkys they're born wearing.

That said, I always end up with Rotosound 66's on everything.

11. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    +1. What you're gonna get is a list of everyone's favorites, which will have very little correlation to what YOU want to hear. So, I won't even bother to list mine.

Zbass82, ComeHomeShane, 31HZ and 4 others like this.
  12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Some EB forum bassist prefer DR Lo rider nickel.

If you are a aggressive pick player, try EB Cobalt flat 50-105 .

Gizmot likes this.
  13. TI Super Alloys will sound very nice.

14. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated

Crispus, IamGroot and Jon Moody like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    DR Hi Beams. Make your Ray sound like a Ray.

= happiness.

Edit to say I went through many years changing the strings on mine about weekly. I’ve tried too many to count. And DR Hi Beams are the winner for me. I am a firm believer that you will be stricken from the book of life if you put flats on a Ray. But I am also a firm believer that strings are a personal choice.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  16. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I swapped my swing bass strings for Roto Nexus blacks purely for looks and am pleasantly surprised by them. Like a 66 but less raspy. I kept the 66s.

Killing Floor and Wood and Wire like this.
  17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My top 3 string choices on my Stingray are:
    1) DR Nickel Lo Riders
    2) D’Addario Chrome Flats
    3) GHS Pressurewounds

Honorable Mention goes to DR Stainless Steel Lo Riders. They sound fantastic on a Stingray, but that’s not a sound I need for what I play right now.

Dasgre0g and Gizmot like this.
  18. JazzyJacuzzi

Sep 17, 2021
    Are you saying you like La Bellas on Stingrays or just in general? I loved them on my Precisions, but I remember them sounding hollow (as in mid-scoop) on my Jazzes. I suppose, though, the Stingray is a mid-forward bass and it has a mid control.

Have you tried the Sunbeams as well?

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    SW Missouri
    I just got my first StingRay (SBMM Ray5) and I started with my favorite rounds- DR Pure Blues. I liked the first set so much I stocked up with two more sets during Fretnation’s Black Friday deal. I’m set for a long time!

Low tension, smooth, broken-in feel with the sound of near-new SS rounds. Very happy with them.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022