1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I brought a new bass, nobody noticed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krakmann, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Krakmann

Krakmann

Jan 6, 2009
    Madrid (Spain)
    Salud!

For several years I've been using this bass, with its VERY disctintive "hook headstock", as my main "battle tank".

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

Recently I could finally put my hands upon the one bass I modeled it after, a 2010 Wine Red Fender Jazz:

IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG

Two weeks and two gigs have passed and NOBODY in my band has even noticed. I just find it amusing.

bobba66, grrg63, LowNloud1 and 69 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nice. I like the looks of the first one better, though. :D

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're not in a stoner band, are you?
    I mean, do you think they'd still fail to notice if you showed up with a white Thunderbird or a green Mockingbird?

4. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Seriously, I think I could show up with a pink 9 string bass and the guys in my band wouldn't notice. Ok, that might be a stretch, but...

gebass6, Krakmann, jamro217 and 6 others like this.
  5. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Pretty much only gear heads notice unless the change is dramatic. i.e. white to black.

And don't tell anybody, but to the average person all basses sound the same in the mix. They only really notice sound differences int finger vs pick vs slap, etc. and effects or dramatic cabinet changes.

At least, this is what I beleve, which is why all I have cared about for over a decade is how a bass plays, how it feels, and how its appearance matches MY personal artistic taste. I get my tone from how I play and the cabinet/effects I use. The base is just the tool in the middle.

kodiakblair, wmmj, Hypocrite and 14 others like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    When you want to let them know...

cheese-and-wine.

...bring wine and cheese! Bring both basses!

...:wacky: or did you already???? :roflmao:

Happy NRWD or NWRD!!!

Wise(b)ass

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    People I play with gave up on noticing when I have a new bass. It's pretty much every month at this point.

And I ain't braggin or saying that's a good thing either.

8. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    My main bass is a Yamaha BBN 5 with Barollini 18 volt electronics installed by Mike Lull. It's also my first bass. I picked it up in a pawn shop back in 1998. It's light alder or "bass wood". i.e. plain light wood but not a remarkable looking wood.

After playing a few times at my church, I showed up one day with my silver six string I got off the scratch and dent section of Rondomusic for $130. It's very, very pretty and sounds great. It's active but just a standard Chinese/Korean setup. Nobody noticed.

After a few weeks of using that one, I switched back to the fiver and as soon as I set up the leader asked me if it was a different bass as soon as he saw it.

Next week I'm thinking of using my medium blue-green flamed maple five string fretless with black tapewound strings to see if anyone notices.

wmmj, marcwhy, Engle and 3 others like this.
  9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    They're both nice lookin'!

10. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Both are very nice basses. Maybe your band not noticing will rub off on your spouse/significant other and you can acquire more basses.

11. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    That first one is very interesting.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    They new something was different, probably thought you got a haircut, lost weight, etc.

13. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    I think I am more amazed that the OP has used that bass for several years and the hook hasn't broken off...

Beautiful bass, by the way

dbsfgyd1, Krakmann, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jim622

Jim622

May 27, 2012
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Your in a bubble here! In the real world your just the bass player. Nobody cares!

15. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    You could be playing a Washtub Bass and the band prob wouldn't notice. I know mine wouldn't ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  16. It looks like the neck has shifed on the first one, with the g string side having little to no play versus the e string side. Loosen the neck bolts, shift the neck so that both sides are even... it's a nice lookin bass!
    Fishheadjoe

17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Would you notice if your postman/woman got a new delivery truck? And if you did notice, would you say anything to them about it?

I think that's pretty much the way your bandmates think about your bass. As long as the mail arrives on time, the vehicle it arrives in is pretty much irrelevant.

gebass6, Steve-Mo, Engle and 4 others like this.
  18. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    LOL! I bring basses with different colors sometimes and people don't noticed.
    the worst was with this band that I exclusively played 6 string basses because of all the melodies I had to play. years later the leader casually asked me if I mainly played 5 string basses!!! LOL
    Not long ago I was playing upright on a gig and during the break some guy starts to talk to me when I realized he thought I was the drummer. he told me he could swear i was playing the drums!!!! LOL
    Funny, but it puts things in perspective when sometimes we are obsessing about stuff only we notice.

19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Distinctive headstock? Why should anyone be expected to notice small stuff like that?

No matter what bass you're playing you're making it sound like you. That's the greatest achievement.

BadWithNames, Krakmann and jamro217 like this.
  20. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Make sure you point it out next time you see them that way they can give you opinions on which one they want you to play.