1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't choose

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AxeAndSax, Oct 19, 2013.

1. AxeAndSax

AxeAndSax

Sep 8, 2013
    Hi guys I need help with buying an intermediate-ish bass. My budget is $800 I'm looking into five-hundred dollar basses. :bassist:

Fender FSR Standard J Bass

Fender Blacktop Precision Bass

Fender Modern Player Jazz Electric Bass Guitar

Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass

Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass

Yamaha BB424X Electric Bass Guitar

Fender Modern Player Jaguar Electric Bass Guitar

2. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get a USA Peavey. Buy two of them.

3. though i like the tone from most "J" basses i can't get used to the neck

so IMHO based on my experiences i say go for the blacktop "P"

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    You can get a USA jazz/precision for 600-700$. Look used, some of the american specials go for about 500$ used.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like American Standard Precision basses these days.

EZ to PLEEZE.

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If you're looking for something capable of some super-aggressive tones, but can still deliver a more mellow sound, try out the Blacktop Jazz. Here's the post I made when I got mine earlier this year. But to put it briefly, soloing the neck pickup gives you a solid, if not an exact, Precision sound. When you start bringing up the bridge pickup you get a deep, cannon-like "Jazz on steroids" sound.

Budget-wise, they go for $500 at most retailers. Personally, I'd avoid anyone trying to charge more.

I've thought about getting a Modern Player Jazz, specifically the first generation (V/V/T config). I've tried them out at my local Guitar Center, and it's got a pretty tough-yet-smooth sound, but the Blacktop is still ballsier.

EDIT: I can't pass up the chance to also sing the praises of my Crafted In Japan (some are stamped 'Made In Japan') Fender Aerodyne Jazz. It's quite a "best of both worlds", what with the P/J pickup configuration. It's very light, if that's a consideration, sexy as Hell to look at and fits in with your budget. New ones go for $800, but there are a few used basses here-and-there that fall within the $500 to $600 range.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    G&L Tribute L-2000 or Sterling Ray34 will kill anything on your list.

8. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Or, you could dare to be different, and grab one of the mint-condition-from-being-tucked-into-its-case-thrown-under-the-bed-and-forgotten-about-for-30-years-until-someone-mentioned-what-they're-bringing-on-eBay-now vintage Peavey T-40s? They are so versatile, you can pretty much dial them in to sound ANY way you want them to!

Currently, you can acquire one in anything from very good to 99.5 points concours condition on FeeBay ranging from $350.00 to 600.00.

9. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    I'm curious. What do you think a $500.00 bass is going to give you that you don't have now?

I can appreciate wanting to upgrade, but for the amount of money you're talking about spending, you could get 2 Squier VMs, three SX's, etc. that will likely be just as good as any $500.00 bass you can buy today.

These days, you can get some tremendous tones out of sub-$300.00 basses, and realistically spending $200.00 more isn't giving you much IMO.

10. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    This...

Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    we have absolutely no idea as to your interest/likes/dislikes/etc ... type of music, gear you already have/had/etc ... a completed profile goes a long way to getting much more accurate advice/suggestions for your particular situation ...

.. however, this is definitely a buyers market .. there are some VERY good buys right now in the used market .. at every level of gear ... JMHO

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I personally have a full stable of P and Jazz basses, so I would probably get that Modern Player Jaguar and swap out the pick guard for a black one. But the Dimension also has me intrigued.

That being said, If you don't already have one, I would recommend a Precision or Jazz bass. The Modern Player Jazz with the two jazzbuckers looks pretty cool