Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't take it

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Mar 11, 2005.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nickelback > The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Faces

This was just told to me on AIM. Please discuss (keeping in mind we are all entitled to our opinions ;) )

2. Yes, Runrig are by FAR the best band ever to come from the British Isles. They own the likes of U2 and the Beatles. Yes, the Beatles started something big, but it was improved on!

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Nickleback and those other bands shouldn't even be in the same conversation. Bunch of talentless whiney brats. Decent music, at best. Gets old fairly quickly IMO.
    Beatles, Stones, Faces absolutly own nickleback in all aspects, music or no. There is no improving them, only copying and changing.

Ray

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ray..I place all my faith and hope for your generation squarely on your shoulders ;)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions. Some people honestly enjoy the taste of dog crap over chocolate cake. This is one of those cases.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I have a lot of people to thank for opening my eyes to this. Up until about '98-'99 I didn't know what good music was. I thought Nirvana, 3 Doors Down etc were the epitome of music. Then I stayed with my uncle for a summer, and he got me hooked on the Who, beatles, cars, etc. etc. and I was blown away. It may not be "heavy" in modern aspects, but it's still rock! And it doesn't matter what you like, in some aspect you have these forefathers to thank for your music. The least you can do is accept that, and listen to it, and appreciate it. The worst you can do is compare modern music to it. Everyone should take a step back every now and then and give these dudes a listen, at the least, IMO.

Ray

Edit: I also have the majority of TB to thank for opening my eyes the whole way, and showing my what good, tasteful music is. Thanks guys. Best MUSIC site, ever. Period.

7. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    ya beat me to it cheezewiz. Ray, ya give me hope.
    Bill

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Now, I suppose there is nothing wrong with Nickelback. They are what they are, a successful pop/hardrock band. More power to em. BUT..mentioned Chad Kroeger or whatever his name is in the same breath with Sir Paul, Mick and Keef, Rod and Ronnie...well, just seems sacreligious!

9. I almost spit out my Gatorade when I saw that. I mean, honestly....Nickelback? That's a new low.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Who's Runrig?

11. Probably one of the best bands ever. I really don't udnerstand why Cheezewiz had to start a thread about this. It's my opinion. I don't like the Beatles. Neither does my dad. Neither do many of his friends. Neither do many of mine. However, it's all opinion, there is no right or wrong.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nickleback is the defintion of generic. All of their songs just sound like... nothing. I demand some content to my music. A lot of the Beatles (early stuff) is the same way. "I wanna hold your hand," I mean c'mon. ANd I despise the Rolling stones, but these bands bury Nickleback. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... so bad.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I didnt mention you by name Nick. I started a thread, to see if I was off base by thinking it was one of the silliest statements I've ever heard.

14. Scary stuff. Up until now I have never actually heard of a person that has admitted to even owning a Nickelback album.

Nick, how about you look at not from a personal viewpoint but instead the accomplishments of said bands. The Beatles openend many doors musically, experimented and were diverse throughout their career. Nickelback are a musical dead-end that has copied others and are at best predictable in their songs and lyrics.
    I'm no fan of the Beatles myself and have likely outlived my classic rock phase but Nickelback really do not measure up to any band with an ounce of creativty, let alone the greats of rock in any way. And that's aside from personal taste.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Read and contemplate.

16. No, it really isn't outside of personal taste. You can't tell me I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong either.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    What about his dad WITH his dad's friends? :rolleyes:

In this case, IMO, there is a right and a wrong. It's right to say Beatles, Stones etc. all are greats bands. It's right to say Nickleback isn't anywhere near as good as these bands. It's wrong to compare these bands in any fashion.

Ray

19. +1 (did I just do that?) Is that galloping I hear? The Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse are on their way. The End of the World is nigh!!! The Seventh Seal has been broken and the multi-headed hydra is here to damn the codemned!!!! AAAhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Mike

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Dude, chill. We're all still wrong in his mind.

Ray