I cried in disappointment when Paul McCartney said this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofnerbacker, Nov 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hofnerbacker

Hofnerbacker

Feb 18, 2020
    258782382_594088231806730_5908642570838901334_n.jpg

Ikkir, Ghastly, Speterc and 44 others like this.
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO it's refreshing to see someone who isn't tied down to the technicalities and just wants to create.

SJan3, therhodeo, 68Goldfish and 92 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I've known several ridiculously talented musicians who couldn't tell you the notes of their open guitar strings. Some people just "have it" regardless of their prowess in ancillary areas.

Short version. Dude could sing, play, and (especially) WRITE like crazy. He found a way to tap into the human condition and relate to millions of people before that was possible via Twitter or Insta.

So it doesn't bother me that a guy didn't know what all of the knobs and switched did on his bass. He couldn't exactly Google it either. ;)

There was another recent thread here regarding who played bass on one of their songs. WE obsess over the tiniest little details of their music/gear/recordings. THEY didn't. They just showed up, wrote hits, played whatever instrument was in front of them, and went to lunch without giving it a second thought. WE live in the past. THEY were all about "That's done. What's next?".

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    NeLLusD, SJan3, fauxtoe and 171 others like this.
  4. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    I love this stuff. ie Bernard Edwards didn't know or care what strings were on his Stingray, Jamerson too etc. Greatness doesn't need forums, upgrades etc...Greatness just lets the music flow.
    Lost track of the times even my fellow weekend musicians have said they care not about what bass I'm playing or gear I'm using as long as I play right.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah, I love discussing gear, playing all kinds of basses, trying new amps, changing pickups, etc. My best friend (an accomplished guitarist who has literally done a couple THOUSAND gigs with me) deflates me sometimes. I'll show up with a new bass, or new pickups, or a different amp and be all excited about it. I'll say "Check THIS out!" and play a lick or two. He'll say "Sounds great. Sounds just like you." :meh:

:wacky:

(Checking out new/different gear is still fun.)

SJan3, woodyng2, BritFunk and 45 others like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"i cried in disappointment when paul mcartney said this...."
    :laugh:
    shirley you jest!?

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    It’s a Rick. No one knows what those knobs actually do.

NeLLusD, fauxtoe, hbarcat and 173 others like this.
  8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Well said

9. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Is that astroturf?

Coolhandjjl, Low8, db59 and 1 other person like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Some are musical gear nerds, others are musical genius. Could you be both.....sure. :smug:

11. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A lot of really good players don't seem to care much about gear. To take it one step further, Paul is, technique-wise, a pretty dreadful bassist by any kind of "academic" metric. But he gets the job done and he writes incredible bass lines. :)

12. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I thought that was funny. Shows you how much he played that bass. I wonder how they all managed to understand the Bass VI for that matter.

13. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Eric Johnson comes to mind.

14. I owned an Ibanez Musician bass for 20 years, the longest of any bass I’ve ever had in my possession. There was this one mystery knob that I never knew what it’s function was. o_O I just left it alone.

15. I am jesting, and quit calling me Shirley. ;)

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    TBF i still don’t know what one of the knobs does on my cheapo electric guitar. I’ve had it for over 20 years!

Old Blastard and seedokebass like this.
  18. dont-call-me-shirley-shirley.gif

19. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I'm not even in the next state over from great, but I remember when my college band was recording at MIT in Minneapolis (a student there needed a band for a recording class) and one of the instructors asked if my PJ-equipped bass was set-up 'hi/low' with regards to the pickups. I said I didn't know, it was a bass and I played it. The look of disgust on his face was brutal.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.