1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I didn't think it was possible, four octave neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trb6pJM2, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I have a feeling it would be VERY difficult to play clean notes (or even reach them) in those last 12 frets.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    So up at the fourth octave, if you move your finger a tenth of a millimeter it's a half step pitch change, right? :)

3. yea agreed, thats not a practical instrument at all... just a piece of artwork.

4. if you play the 48th fret, youre playing on the pickup....

5. take the strings off and it would make a nice kitchen counter.

oh wait, too long.

lol.....

6. tank4checo

tank4checo

Feb 14, 2008
    new mexico
    wonder i it sounds any good?

7. What's the fretlessboard made of?? Plexiglass?? :eyebrow: It looks transparent.

I can't handle more than 5 strings so other than the cool factor it doesn't do much for me :cool:

8. On the other hand, consider: it's a bass with a built-in Gary Willis-esque finger ramp! If you use one, it's handy. And you can tap notes with your pinky on one string while you're plucking notes on another! And in tune, no less. Wild! ;)

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd guess those top frets aren't really for notes, per se. Just expression. Cool design. I like.

10. Yes, this would be a horribly unruly instrument to play from the beginning being that it's an unlined fanfretless, I'm just sayin, it's super coolio IMO.

11. if it were fretted I'd be alot more impressed and it would be easier to play. But kudos for building it anyway.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Just curious, but how could you assume this from that picture? Sure, you're not going to get a clean note at those intervals, but that's not really the point, I'd assume, based on comments from others w/ 2+ octave necks. I think the dots will be there more as indicators for using harmonics in that range.

13. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I think the confusion is that jsingles meant to say "weighs an a$$ ton".

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
  15. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    jsingles, what gives? If this bass is not your cup of tea say so and move on. To sit there and criticize someone else's idea of a cool bass is not cool at all. There may be people on this forum who thinks your Schecter C-4 and Ibanez amp is crap as well and "a waste of labor". Keep the spirit of this forum alive. There's things we like and don't like. That's what makes us all unique as bass players.

16. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    agreed. they would make some sweet expression sounds.

17. How dare someone makes something that's not exactly like a Fender!!!!!! :mad::rolleyes:

Interesting concept. The website says it weighs 11lbs. My hat definitely goes off to anyone who can play an unlined fanned bass.

18. Lolobass

Lolobass Builder: Basses L.Kah

Jul 30, 2006
    West - France (Angers)
  19. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    Yes, it has been done on the three Ritter Roya Concepts - I am expecting this one to show up in a few days:

[​IMG]

:D

Actually, on these you're actually looking at infinite "frets", I guess... although of course it's only for design purposes.