1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I do not like AIM 6.0

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eli M., Dec 24, 2006.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    It is not user-friendly, and it is no fun. I'd like to think this is because I haven't fully learned how to use it yet. Has anyone figured out how to:

-change the font in which the buddy list is displayed (a feature available in all recent versions but apparently missing from 6.0)

-make it so you can actually see what someone sent you while you were Away, before you return from Away (a feature available in all recent versions but apparently missing from 6.0)

-choose the destination of each file someone sends you, instead of choosing a default and not getting to choose each time (a feature available in all recent versions but apparently missing from 6.0)

-turn off the anti-aliasing on the text

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hehe, I'll stick to Gaim anyday.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    iChat for me

4. Looks like they realized Triton sucks, so they took 5.9 and 'tritonized' it. Overall there are really no better features which I am interested in, and it looks like crap to me.

I shall stick with 5.9.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i don't get why they just can't let a good program (5.9) be, and not change it.

6. Because the majority of my stereotypical college friends love the new AIM, and only people like me who embrace simplicity stay true to 5.9.

I am the minority unfortunately. -sigh-

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Trillian

8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    you're not the only one, on my pc i use 5.9

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  10. +1

Shows up AIM as the ugly monstrosity (with built-in ads?!) that it is. Clean and clear. I also like the plugin that tells me when someone is going to send me a message before they do it.

11. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Problem #2 solved. It is a function of the tabbed window.

12. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I hate AIM with a passion. But I LOVE MSN. With a passion. Yahoo is ok, but i'm not too big on how it looks. I would get trilian, but I like the msn plus thing i downloaded with the tabs and the sound clips and stuff. Very cool. Plus I only have a few select ppl that I talk to on AIM and Yahoo. Everyone else is on MSN.

13. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    iChat rocks.

14. Great site. I've used it for years! :)

It's amazing to see how programs have grown over the versions in terms of sheer tonnage... The bloatware is incredible!

For AIM, I use 5.9.3857. I also use Middle Man and Ad Hack as add-ons with it. It's perfect! :D

15. pfft noone uses aim anyway

16. Well, nobody in Europe uses AIM anyway. It's huge in the US, mostly through all the people who got their screen names from signing up to the original AOL service. MSN and even Yahoo are way superior in terms of instant messaging features and functionality.

But there's no accounting for taste. Most of Eastern Europe, Asia, etc are still hugely into ICQ. :)

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    5.9 for me. Someone once said I live in the past. Maybe I do.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have recently started using AIM express and for the most part have had good results.

19. +1

but I still use an older version of AIM sometimes to :)ninja: :bag:) download new music from friends on my buddy list using the "get file" option.