1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't like playing over the bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RyanKW, Jan 6, 2017.

1. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    The title says it all. I play finger style almost exclusively. Floating thumb. I see many other bass players playing almost exclusively over the bridge pickup. Many times I like their tone. When I try it, I don't like the sound or feel. Feels "cold".

I like it most just behind the neck pickup. Sometimes, when doing country, I'll even play right up at the neck for a more upright sound...but never bridge. Been playing 22 years.

Anyone here feel the same?

2. I trend to be close to where the neck joins the Body. I think it has more to do with comfort than the sound, however I do like the up right sound and do use flats and foam.

2saddleslab, snarebear and Bodeanly like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't trust people who play close to the bridge as their default tone.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Works for me.

I rarely play anywhere near the bridge other than as a special effect for a note or two. I'm more the 'sweet spot to over the fingerboard' type myself.

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    ^^^

6. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    Lol! Friggin bridgers.

Dean N, MattZilla, GKon and 11 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i play all over, mostly, with a preference near (or even over) the neck (float), but i never play at the bridge: probably for the same reason as you: can't get the feel i want when those strings seem less 'obedient'.

funny! :roflmao:

RyanKW likes this.
  8. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    J at the Bridge Sounds great when playing by yourself but in the mix i find its too thin for me, i use a PJ and i solo the P and rest my thumb on the Pickup full time.

lz4005 likes this.
  9. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    I rarely move away from the bridge. It gives me much more definition than playing closer to the neck.
    When I hear live bands the bass is usually just a heap of low zoom. Playing closer to the bridge at least makes the notes I'm playing actually audible.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I can't say I have an all time preference. It depends if I'm too deep and need articulation, or too bright/punchy and need to mellow it out.
    I had to check if this was in the DB or BG section. I guess I default midway and as arm length dictates and move from there foreword or backward in response to my tone... it's like a fine adjustment to timbre'.

SLO Surfer and JusttheBassics like this.
  11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have always played over the neck PU- I like the feel and bounce of the string in that area; I can't get a good read on the string at the bridge.

trackskinz and RyanKW like this.
  12. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    When I dig in hard, I usually go toward the bridge. For me, the strings are more predictable there as they're swinging less far.

13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I usually play a P, so I don't have a bridge pickup, but I also tend to play between just behind the pup and the neck -- both fingerstyle and pickstyle -- and rarely near the bridge. However, I'm intrigued by players who effectively play with a pick near the bridge. Julie Slick, for example, often plays with a pick near the bridge on her P-style Lakland, and gets an awesome gnarly tone out of it, but I haven't figured out how to do that myself.

matante and RyanKW like this.
  14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    If I were playing a strat in a band (as a guitar player), I may use the neck pickup for clean rhythm, and the bridge pickups for distorted lead, there is a difference in attack and toNE for sure. I do that in a song when I want to fall back or step foreword in a live mix, play here or there, harder or softer, depending on what's going on.

bluejack likes this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on the tone you want. I pluck anywhere from right by where the neck meats the body to over the bridge pickup. On a J bass, the sweet spot is between the pups. I also find the strings get a little floppy if you move too far up.

Ewo, trackskinz and gebass6 like this.
  16. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    I use a PJ and solo the P as well, but i float.

17. I hate too.
    Neck rulez

RyanKW likes this.
  18. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes. Pretty much could have written this myself.

Sometimes I get a little closer to the bridge, like over the back pickup when I want that sound, but it's not all that often.

RyanKW likes this.
  19. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I can see this pick style, though it's still not something I would do. But finger style? Uh no......

20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    "I don't like playing over the bridge pickup."

Then don't do that ;)

In all seriousness though, where I'm picking depends entirely on what sound I was out of the bass: I'll attack the strings anywhere from directly over the bridge pickup for really punchy, burpy tones to an octave above where I'm fretting for thick, synth-like tones.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017