1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I GOT A P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I know call me nuts, I have a USA P Bass which has the S-1 switching I dont care about. Anyway I love the Bass dont care about the pickups. I cant afford another bass right now so I thought about swapping out pickups for something like S.D. Quarter Pounders but which ones I want a deeper little more bottom. Are some other pickups. Some told me I could do this with a pedal, like a Sansamp are something running it tru the effects loop are in front of the amp. I use a SWR 750 WorkingPro Head SWR 410 cab. At one club I Play I run out of my head tru the P.A. tru 18s that what they make me use and on the stage I have a 210 monitor and a 15.

2. What?!?!?!

3. I GOTTA PEE TOO!!!

4. +1000000

5. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    oh, I see :eyebrow:

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Anyone else think the OP would have been a lot cooler as a run on sentence?

I know call me nuts, I have a USA P Bass which has the S-1 switching I dont care about anyway I love the Bass dont care about the pickups I cant afford another bass right now so I thought about swapping out pickups for something like S.D. Quarter Pounders but which ones I want a deeper little more bottom are some other pickups some told me I could do this with a pedal, like a Sansamp are something running it tru the effects loop are in front of the amp I use a SWR 750 WorkingPro Head SWR 410 cab at one club I play I run out of my head tru the P.A. tru 18s that what they make me use and on the stage I have a 210 monitor and a 15.

7. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    I did a double take on that entire paragraph.

8. He probably got like that because "They" made him play through 18s, a 410, a 210 and a 15 at the same time!
    Does horrible things to you.....

9. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    Yes

10. Come on guys i just got done working a 14hr shift,maybe I should of went to bed for I wrote this new thread.

11. What?!?!?!

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have no idea what you're trying to ask, so I'm going to let the Pickups mods have fun with this :)

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dimarzio P's seem to have more bass oriented voice then the Seymour P's Ive tried. Or the Seymours have bit more treble to em. If rolling off your tone control a little doesnt do the trick. Then changeing pups or maybe even just string brand, could fix such bass shyness. Otherwise a active onboard 2band eq to cut some treble in area wanted and/or boosting bass a bit. The SWR cabs Ive heard and tried have been a bit bass shy to my ears. A bit overly midrange and treble oriented to my ears. So, more bass heavy speakers might also be worth concidering if the House PA's 18's sounded good.

14. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I see. wait... what?

You want a pickup with a beefier low end, or a way to get more low end from your P-Bass. How about EQ-ing your rig a little differently?

15. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive...

"I would like to make my P-Bass sound more robust in the lower frequency range. I cannot afford a new bass so I have considered a new pickup as a cost-effective solution. What are your thoughts on the venerable Duncan Quarter Pounder? Do you have any other suggestions that would be more appropriate? Would a pre-amplification or equalization pedal be more effective? Currently I employ an SWR 750 Working Pro amplifier and an SWR 4x10 speaker cabinet, although I am required at certain establishments to run directly through the Public Address system."

16. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    FTW

Edit: Oh H*[[ - now I'm gonna hafta Netflix this tonight - thanx
    Edit II: Oh double H*[[ - It's not available for streaming

17. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Win! I wish you could do this to every statement that ever came out of my mouth!

18. I use Fender med flat wound strings. I was using a Aguilar 210cab and a 18in Peavey Lowrider. I still have those in storage. I use a Fender Squire at church which belongs to them. They use a SWR Pro 350 and 410. The pickups were change before they got it, it has bigger poles then my USA P and sounds good. I took it apart but theres nothing on the pickups showing what they are, and they dont Know. Please excuse my writing I was in a car accident and was having seizures. I take meds for it and havent had one for a few years but have to take the meds the rest of my life. Sometimes I can get confuse a little after taking them for a couple hrs side effects. Thats what happens when you get hit by a drunk with know Ins. So again excuse my writing. But I can play good Bass. A guy at the Bass Emp. told me to try something like a SANSAMP tru the effect loop are something I didnt understand what he was saying I was in a hurry and had to go.

19. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    You have lots of options Gary. I think the most important thing is to figure out what you want to sound like. So far you have all the right ingredients: a p-bass with flatwounds and a decent SWR rig. You should have all kinds of thunder. But if you can't EQ the amp to your liking then maybe it's time to look at the bass.

For pickups, check these out: Delano http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cHash=ddc58fffeb&tx_smtdelano_pi1[cat]=1&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=6&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=5&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=45

and these: http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/4st_bass_pu_s.htm

If you want an on-board preamp, this is so cool: http://bestbassgear.com/p-retro-preamp.htm

And if you want a pedal to boost low end, you have lots of options:
    http://bestbassgear.com/sansamp-bass-driver-di.htm

http://bestbassgear.com/aguilar-tone-hammer-preamp.htm

http://bestbassgear.com/sadowsky-outboard-bass-preamp.htm

http://bestbassgear.com/bbe-sonic-stomp.htm

20. Iam just trying for a little deeper smoother bottom, to play a little R&B. My pastor at church is a music major, and when we play worship its pretty contempary. He also likes to use a few Jazz licks here and there and blues. He plays electric guitar Idont know any instrument he cant play and play well. He is one those guys, but he is pretty cool. Sometimes me and him will get into a groove and everyone gets quiet and its cool.