1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I hope this is the right place for my question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XXickystickyXX, Mar 6, 2013.

1. XXickystickyXX

XXickystickyXX

Mar 6, 2013
    Hey all,

First let me say that I have tried to search my question but couldn't find an answer, and I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question, it seemed logical..general instruction..and I am looking for some instruction.
    I am building my bass rig and I have a couple questions about how to go about it.
    What I am trying to do is thicken up my tone and my bands sound by stacking tones. In my head this works but i don't know if there are any pit falls of doing what I am thinking about doing and I am asking all of you for your opinions, advice and suggestions.
    What I'm trying to do is use my Sansamp RBI and either another preamp or my POD xt pro together, at the same time but not ran together but individually. I'm trying to have the POD or the sans amp used as a clean clear tone at all times and have a second preamp or the other unit(pod or sansamp) used as a distorted or effects channel almost. In essence what I am trying to do is when I hit the 2nd "channel" it will come through on top or blended with the clean tone that will be on all the time. Kind of like punching up the sound during certain parts of the music.
    Now 1.- Can this be done, 2.- is this recommended?, 3.- What gear would i need to pull this off with out blowing something up?

I plan on only using one speaker cab, I was thinking that if I ran the preamps into a line mixer and then ran the outs on the line mixer to the power amp that pushes my cabinet this might work. I am not trying to run 2 separate amps.

So please let me know what you think! Thanks!
    :help:

2. XXickystickyXX

XXickystickyXX

Mar 6, 2013
    just bumpin cause I have to figure this out soon..

3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    There are other subforums here that deal with equipment issues.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1. This is probably more suitable to the "Amps" forum.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to Amps.

6. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wouldn't an overdrive/distortion pedal do exactly this?

Run your SansAmp clean, and engage the pedal for the "punched up" tone. Or, run your POD clean, and use the SansAmp for the distortion.

...or am I missing something?

7. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    Boss LS2 will do the job. Just experiment, running overdrives and distortions blended with clean signal has worked for me in several situations. Works best if you drop plenty of low end out of the effected signal.

8. XXickystickyXX

XXickystickyXX

Mar 6, 2013
    Sorry about the misplacement of this question. Thanks for the input on my question guys. I didn't know if the blended signal with a pedal would be the same that I am trying to do by having the clean running all the time with an effected tone blended or stacked on top of the clean. Looks like i was over complicating it. Thanks again!

9. Rocker59801

Rocker59801

Mar 22, 2012
    The Sans amp effect loop can be setup parallel or serial. Parallel sounds like what you are looking for.

10. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
    Set up the Pod in the effects loop of the RBI and use with the RBI's 50/50 switch engaged. Set up an empty patch in the Pod for your clean tone and then you can cycle through whatever effects patches you may want.

Here's a link to the RBI's manual if it would help.
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/sansamp/RBI-OM.pdf