1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just dropped my $5000 rig down the stairs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Or rather, it decided to go down the stairs by itself while I was not looking. I'm moving tomorrow, so I was getting all my stuff packed up in my new old truck, and the bass amp was the first item to get loaded up. I set my rack next to the bannister, and walked away from it to get help from my roommate down the hall. Not 10 seconds later I hear a crash. I run out just in time to see my amp dissappear down the first step - eek! It crashed it's way down a full flight of steps, destroying the walls, steps, and finally the 100 year old solid redwood door. This monster actually buckled a 3" piece of redwood in two places, all the way top to bottom. That door is going to cost me $2000 to replace, but as of tomorrow I don't even live here anymore. Damn.

I opened the rack, and not a single tube was broken - all 20 intact. Everything appears to be ok, but I won't know that for sure until I get to my new place and plug it all in. To be perfectly honest, I don't think anything in there is going to be broken at all; this rack is a monster.

The moral of this story? Don't ever leave a rack with wheels unattended next to a flight of stairs, and if you do, make sure it's a Mesa/Boogie shockmount. I'm sure that if I'd had a non-shockmounted rack I'd be out alot more than just a turn of the century door.

2. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    damn-i thought i had a bad day.sorry to hear it-hope the rig is ok.
    are you still friends with your soon to be x-roommate?:D

3. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Dude...I am so sorry. That sucks.

4. Bizmo

Bizmo

Mar 13, 2006
    BUMMER MAN

5. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Here's a good idea....... in the future.... don't smoke pot when you move. Honestly.... stairs and a bass... What were you thinking...

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Reminds me of the time the guitar players castered 4x12 and 100 watt tube head went careening off the pavement into a compost heap :scowl:

Amazingly, we knocked the compost out of the amp and it worked perfectly ...

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Well, I've decided what kind of rack case I want to buy...

8. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Solve the problem next time by getting your stairs/door messa/boogie shock mounted also.

This may sound morbid... but I would love to see pictures of the damage. If the amp survived (I bet you will need to retube) I am sure mesa/boogie would love to see the pics also.

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Not for long! hehehe

Where ya moving Mr Strange?

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    You win the "Bad Day of the Week" award!

No one else allowed to complain!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

i cant even fathom the atrocity...

12. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Ouch! I could almost see it happen in slow motion.

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know what kind of rack case I'm getting!

Hope everything works fine. I can't imagine the horror you must have felt at first.

14. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Benjamin Strange, you are quite possibly today's luckiest bassist.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Really. Where was that luck two seconds before his rig went down the stairs?

16. :eek: WOW... I would love too see pic's of what it did to that door and the rest of the house. I bet that was a sight for sore eyes for sure.

I have never heard of a shockmount rack case... where can you get them, what do they look like, and the average cost of them?

Good luck on the repairs... I hope your roommate had insurance! :bag:

Peace,

17. "NNnnnoooooooo" Heard the downstairs neighbor as the victim runs in slow motion, clutching futilely toward the disaster site......

But really, hope it all comes out working perfectly!!

18. I can just imagine this giant rack going flying through the front door, and taking out the innocent mail man on the other side...

"YOU'RE WHY WE SHOOT PEOPLE!!"

Hope all the valves are OK, Benji. :)

19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    For the record, I wasn't smoking pot. Hell, I've never smoked anything in my life, so you can't blame it on the drugs. Just blame it on sheer stupidity for leaving it unnattended.

What floors me is that this thing somehow pulled a complete U-turn around the bannister before heading down the stairs; about 3 feet or so worth of movement. I think I'm going to blame the cat.

20. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    In my experience, that's usually right.