Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new bass...any advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Hi everyone. I recently posted before about me needing a new bass...but it was kinda late at night so I'm thinking that's why I didn't get many replies. Anyway, I need a new bass, and I need it pretty quickly so your advice would be helpful. I live in canada so if you give prices, please tell me if they are american or canadian. I'm looking for something with a fair bit of punch for those harder punk songs, but something that can also sound fairly smooth and soft for some fun ska and jazzy stuff. Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated. (money isn't really a problem)

Thanks for your help!

Scott:bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Fender P or J Bass $300 on up
    G&L L-2000 $500 on up US moneys

It might help if you tell use as much about what you want in a bass. How many strings, scale, New or used, Type of amp you are using etc.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    How many strings?

For punk and jazz, Fender Jazzes (or various copies) are pretty nice. I can't get used to the string spacing on them, however.

As well, Ibanez BTB's are great for the money, especially if you want 5 or 6 strings.

And don't forget the Stingray, it's great for punk.

If you give a price range (other than just "money's not a concern" because it pretty much always is ;)) then we can give more advice. It's pretty hard to give good suggestions for an infinite price range...

Best of luck! :bassist:

5. Alright, here's what I want.

4 strings
    34 inch scale
    preferably new
    willing to spend $2000 Canadain max
    and My current amp is a Peavey TNT 115

There, that should make it a bit easier for ya

Scott:bassist:

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    -higher end jazz bass
    -fender precision deluxe (the one with two PU's)
    -stingray (or maybe a Bongo if you're adventurous!)
    -G&L L2000

7. okay I suggest u go get a new amp man cause i am sure u cant be pleased wiht the tone coming out of your tnt 115. although if you are i would suggest gettin mabey a bc rich i just like the body style of the mockingbird or mabey go wiht a fender precision. or possibly and les paul. but i would go wiht the amp if i had 2 grand.

8. What's wrong with my amp. It seems perfectly fine to me!

9. Scott there is nothing wrong with your amp, is a matter of fact, it's a great amp, IMHO.

You can do small gigs with it and for larger gigs, you can always mic or run a DI from it!

I would suggest the MIA Jazz bass for your needs as well.

If you had the funds the Sadowsky's are killer and have a more modern tone but able to come close to a vintage Jazz bass too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    This should do the trick quite well. Plus you will have enough money left over to buy an SVT CL plus a killer 4x10 cabinet.

ATK 300 For Sale

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I can give some opinions on what I have experience with.

Good "all-arounders"

Lakland Skyline 44-02 Hip-shot ultralite licensed tuners, Bartolini MK1's, great build quality, $1,300 - 1,400 CDN Club Bass in TO

Fender Jazz American Deluxe, great neck, great vibe, versatile (need those noiseless pickups) $1,500 - $1,700 CDN

Godin BG-4 Seymour Duncan Basslines, Schaller hardware, active SD preamp. Great neck, well put together. Cheap for what you get at around $900.00 CDN

Yamaha TRB-4 Very even tone, great build quality, $1,200 CDN

The cheapie of the bunch I would recommend is the Godin Freeway 4. P/J pickups , great cast bridge, string-thru-body, jazz-style slim neck, very good build quality, versatile tone, comfortable. $500 - $550 depending on finish.

I currently have the Lakland Skyline 55-01, Godin BG-5, Fender American Precision, and have owned the Freeway 4 in the past (which I wish I hadn't sold).

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Oh yeah,

I have to echo some previous comments. There's nothing wrong with your amp. The TNT is powerful and true to the tone of the guitar.

I currently run the Deltabass head / BXBW 115 cabinet plus a TKO 115 at home.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You owe it to yourself to check out the MTD Kingston & Heir models. I was very impressed with the ones I tried a while back. VERY nice basses for the price.

The Deluxe P-bass isn't half bad, either. Sounds great for most stuff, even if it is a familiar and perhaps not terribly exciting tone.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A lakland 55-01, 55-02, 55-94 are some pretty good basses that are versatile enough to get the job done.

A Peavey Cirrus is also great IMHO.

16. I second that. it's marvellous to play, and you can get almost any sound with the eq..

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The Cirrus doesn't meet Scott's requirements:
    ...although it has to be said that I find them far easier to play than most 34" basses I've come across.

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Musicman Sterling - about 1100 US new!

19. tshac

tshac

Nov 20, 2003
    Norfolk Va
    Peavey 4 Cirrus!:bassist: