I need a pitch shifter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blue4, Aug 14, 2016.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm going to be using it for a couple of songs, nothing metal or really heavy.

I'm interested in what works well for you.

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    blindrabbit and blue4 like this.
  3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have my eye on the EHX Pitch Fork, but I haven't used one.

blue4 likes this.
  4. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
  5. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Per that thread, I would recommend the Digitech Drop. It's not perfect, but IMO it's the best there is for this sort of thing. If you're not happy with it, you should probably just get a differently-tuned bass. The Drop is pretty amazing on guitar, but the further you drop it down and/or using it on bass tests the limits somewhat.

Mvilmany and blue4 like this.
  6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Have you used it for awhile?

7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I got it when it came out, almost two years---that's when I made that thread.

There hasn't really been much new to the market since then. Some people swear by the EHX Pitchfork but it's not really a comparable product; it's more of a harmonizer/Whammy type of pedal. I've never played one, but people who have compared it to the Drop say it has much worse latency. You can Google the review by Six String Samurai for a guitar comparison.

blue4 and azfatboy like this.
  8. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Yeah. That is a good thread. Wish I was in a position to compare the two but I ended up going with the EHX and don't regret it one bit. The versatility of this petal is awesome. More pitch shifting range than must people are even capable of utilizing. Octave up down or both. Natural blend knob. Tracks very well. Toggle on off or lock latch. Expression petal jack. I've been having a blast playing around with adjusting the very strait forward controls. Tons of cool sound capabilities. Yup works for me.

blue4 and azfatboy like this.
  9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I meant to add that the Drop and the Pitchfork do different intervals too. So if one needs to do a specific interval, say, minor 3rd down, the Drop will do that and the Pitchfork won't. The Drop really is for what the OP is asking about. The Pitchfork really isn't (including per the EHX rep that sometimes is on TB), but at the same time it is cheaper, has a lot more features, and does some crazy cool stuff from what I can tell.

blue4 and saltydude like this.
  10. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Right the Drop has a more specific use and based on what I've read probably does a better job at it but using the Pitchfork has been fun for me.

11. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I will say that if I had a specific need to drop (or go up) a specific number of steps, then the Digitech Drop looks unbeatable. But like Adam says, they are really for different purposes, with only a slight overlap. I love playing with the harmonies and multi-octave settings on my PitchFork, and it was definitely the right pedal for what I wanted to do.

blue4 likes this.
  12. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    If it's Standard Drop, drop tuning in 4ths, then you need the Digitech Drop Pedal.

blue4 likes this.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    Get a 5 string bass for those songs ...

Plucky The Bassist, blue4 and gsquare like this.
  14. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Phoenix
    Or have another tuned BEAD, works great and it's a backup in a pinch

15. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    My vote is for a Digitech Bass Whammy.

SongySan, blue4 and gregmon79 like this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I second that.

blue4 likes this.
  17. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Maybe, but that's a last resort.

18. Bass whammy more than a few semitones sounds pretty synthy though... Couldn't incorporate it into my metal band for that reason and just stuck with playing my five string... My guitarist uses the drop though to go from drop c to drop b (ie all strings down a semitone) and it's not noticeable.

blue4 likes this.
  19. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I hate to buy a new bass for two songs out of 40 though. Not when these pedals might be a much cheaper solution.

obimark likes this.
  20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    My guitar player is making me just learn those songs in that certain key. It's cheaper and won't have any funny synth sounds. I also bought Pitch Shift Pro which helps for home practice. However some songs for example Allright Now is a complete PITA being played in G which is a good key for our singer. If you don't believe me try it. That little bass solo sounds like garbage, but you can't omit it because then people will say, "so dude you don't know tat simple solo??"

PS yes I have tried it on 5 string, still PITA!!! and don't sound right.

However that has nothing on Purple Rain which I had to learn it in at least 4 different keys because she couldn't make up her mind which one to sing it in. All I can say is I am just happy she is a nice girl, and fun to be around, and pregnant. For if it was a guy named Gus that was ugly as sin I think I would have clocked him by now!!! lol

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022