1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by azfryguy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    My mother asked me to refinish one of her tables. Alas I do not entirely know what I am doing. She said thats ok it cannot look any worse than it does now. Which is %100 true. So I figure I sand it down and run through the grades "O" sandpaper. I will finish wet sanding at 2000 and leave it in my garage (I live in AZ and it gets very, very hot and dry in my garage) so all the water from wetsanding is out of the wood. Then I will stain it with something other than Minwax. I swear the only thing that stuff is good for staining is my underwear. After all that I will put some form of clear coating on it.

Questions: In order from greatest comcern to little or no concern

What if anything should I put on after the stain? (please be very specific)
    Should I use some kind of stain conditioner?
    How many coats of stain and clear coat should I use?
    Should I sand with #0000 steel wool after every coat of stain and/or clear coat?
    Can I sand clear coat with 8000 grit sandpaper?
    Do you like Turtles?:D

2. Not of much help here, but I've always wanted a pet turtle..

Carry on.

3. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    Been a long time since I've refinished anything, but:

Conditioner depends on the wood type. If it's a soft wood, like pine, that is going to soak up too much stain too quickly or unevenly then you definitely need to use a pre-stain conditioner. If it's a harder wood, like walnut or oak, you're fine just staining. Oak is so hard it's sometimes difficult enough just getting it to soak up the stain.

I generally use 1-2 coats of stain depending on how dark and/or even the first coat turns out.

I use a polyurethane clear coat afterward. Used the water-based that doesn't yellow the last time and it seemed to work fine. I used about 6 coats on my coffee table and the surface has stood up to a LOT of use.

I've always used steel wool in between coats. I assume the sandpaper will work ok, but personally I have an easier time keeping my light between-coat sanding even with steel wool.

I assume you're stripping off the old finish, not just trying to sand it down. Use a low odor stripper. (good advice for any occasion!)

I like the Turtles. And Turtles are ok but its been too long since I've watched them Can't remember which one is my favorite. No turtles in my house. In nature or nature center is fine. Hate it when they cross the road in front of my van. NO SOUP!!!

4. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    So were all in agreement? Turtles are pretty boss?

5. I would agree with that statement. Want to make a turtle bass. :D

6. i used to watch teenage mutant ninja turtles(cartoon) when i was a kid. it was pretty awesome. Donatello was my favorite.

7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    A artificial turtle shell finish would be pretty awesome. Turtles are much too boss to kill to make a real turtle shell bass.

And the general consensus in the thread seems to be spot on. It's been a while since I finished anything too though, probably last summer when we did our picnic table and we re finished the dinner table at the same time.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There is a lot of info on the intarwebz about DIY anything. A quick search is your best pat of action.

Turtles are cool, I guess, but I'm more of a dog guy (although I'm not currently a dog owner).

9. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    Meh turtles dogs same thing. Your just spliting hairs

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Since I've never owned a turtle, it's possible that I don't have a proper appreciation for them.

However (since I'm being accused of splitting hairs), I do know the difference between "your" and "you're".

;)

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ask Relic about how he spent the weekend pretending his son's turtle didn't die and actually had to pose his turtle several times, and used well-placed ventriloquism to fool his son. He might still be involved in such activities to this very day.

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Gamera gonna kick yo' arse!
    gamera1.

13. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Nothing wrong with Minwax if you throw their instructions in the garbage. Do not let the stain sit on the surface for 15 minutes. Wipe on, wife off a moment later. Finish with oil-based poly for best results. Water based is fine, but oil is much more durable and easier to apply.
    Or you could skip the staining and use a tinted poly. I've found those to work quite well.
    Three coats of poly, minimum. Fine steel wool between coats.
    I spent a few years installing, finishing, and re-finishing hardwood floors.

D

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There is a really cool Steeler bar in Queen Creek. Just sayin'.

As for your question, what kind of wood is the table?

-Mike

15. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    Its turtle talk you would not understand:ninja: haha

16. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    Id say pine but not positive

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Two coats of your favorite color stain should be fine. I would also put on two or three coats of clear, sanding with steel wool between. Be sure to sand in a well ventilated area and wipe down the surface thoroughly before you put on another coat.

As for what to put over the stain, I prefer a satin finish myself. You may want to go with something more glossy or more durable if this will be a heavily used surface.

-Mike

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Me too!

One of the best days I remember from childhood...

I made the honor roll in school (which soon became a regular thing) and I came to find BeBop & Rocksteady action figures hanging from a stuffed deers antlers in the den.