I never realized John Mcvie was so good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by duke2004, Feb 3, 2009.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    :thumbsup:

I agree with @Thor 's post too, except that I would add one other largely forgotten iteration of Fleetwood-Mac that included Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlett, and Billy Burnette. The "Time" album and the supporting tour was a commercial flop, but not because the music was poorly done. People in 1995 didn't care (or remember) earlier versions of Fleetwood-Mac anymore... they had just faded into the background, and didn't resurface until "The Dance" reunion. Just the same, I think they all deserve a spot at the Fleetwood-Mac Alumni table as well as Rick Vito, and Bob Westin.

We've all been in bands with personel changes... it's a tough needle to thread even for the weekend warriors.

jerry likes this.
  2. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Sugar-Bear likes this.
  3. Aquilador

Aquilador

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    Ahh... those were the days.

I was 18 when the British Blues scene kicked off with some fabulous blues bands, '68 I think it was.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were definitely the big draw with their famous 'dustbin' album.
    McVie was awesome as a blues band bass player. My all time favourite, as a person too.
    He always seemed so laid back, but, boy, did he lay down a groove - I loved 'Driftin'...

I remember another band that I really liked from that era was Savoy Brown Blues Band and I remember buying tickets to Who and Jethro Tull gigs just to see Savoy Brown as the support act!
    Other bands I also remember from that time were Taste, Groundhogs and the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation.

Sigh... I'm back in the past again...:cool:

4. I think this tune stands out.... at least a little, love the inversions:

Aquilador likes this.
  5. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Continuing the career-long pattern of playing exactly what the tune calls for, and just enough extra to make it interesting, here's John McVie (and Mick Fleetwood) on a couple tracks from the new Buckingham-McVie project.

Been listening to the album while mowing the weeds this afternoon... most of it isn't really my favorite thing, but I love how the chemistry still works for these folks. And those bass parts are perfect. :cool:

HaphAsSard and michael_t like this.
  6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Seriously, thanks for these, I had no idea they already had some stuff out!

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021