I never realized John Mcvie was so good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by duke2004, Feb 3, 2009.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Ah yes, I've seen that... Mick is referring to the bass part on the chorus of "Go Your Own Way"... and yeah, that is one of the slickest bass parts ever. ;)

I'm pretty sure the bass on Silver Springs is fretless... probably his Omega-cut Alembic Series I. (same one used on "The Chain")

This one:

Attached Files:

blue4, Alixinchains and consectaneus like this.
  2. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Ran across this audio clip of Fleetwood-Mac on YouTube yesterday, and had never heard it before. Sounds like an outtake, or maybe the engineers left the tape running while getting levels. Assume it's from a tracking session for recording the 1975 "White" album... anyway, it's just a little blues jam in E, but just listen to John! Especially around 3:30. :bassist:

9mmMike likes this.
  3. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Great thread. Just listening to the band re-enter after the bass solo in The Chain....soooo good and so well written.

4. MrCrane

MrCrane

Mar 5, 2013
    Croydon, UK
    Waddy Wachtel tells a good story regarding the recording of Werewolves on his website.

Waddy Wachtel: 'Werewolves Of London'

They'd already tried Bob Glaub and Lee Sklar for the song before they turned to Mcvie and Fleetwood.

5. vilkai

vilkai

Jul 1, 2008
    Finland
    I remember being incredibly frustrated with guitarists on the scene in Finnish town I lived back then. They'd tell me they had pretty much no interest in playing something as simple as a Buckingham line unless they got paid well. I had a great vocalist lined up for it, too.

Sure, if you're into The Blues, then Nicks/Buckingham is not the place. At all. But I'm more into Albert King and earlier blues, anyway. Blues with an upright bass? Even better! Ain't no accounting for taste, eh?

And now I want to cover this.

I've moved to Sweden and I've connected with a drummer who has a most Fleetwood vibe. Also, I've landed a pretty sweet horn band gig. Lots of musos there are multi-instrumentalists and it looks like players can also sing here more often than in Finland. You guys just know what I'm gunning for at this point, don't you?

(Did I mention that Swedes have a thing for songs and singing? Feels like almost everyone can do melody and a some sort of vocal part for the most common songs.)

Alixinchains likes this.
  6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    John McVie is my favorite bassist. He's perfect IMO. Perfect tone, perfect note choice. I listen to his stuff, and I don't hear a single thing I would've done differently.

Mick Fleetwood is tops in my book as well. I don't know if you'd call it his tone or not but they sound amazing.

Sugar-Bear and 9mmMike like this.
  7. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Peter Green on a Bass VI.
    PGreen.jpg

8. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    yes, THIS!

JLY likes this.
  9. slagheap

Dec 23, 2011

10. slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    That's p
    Ditto " Have You Heard? " from the Beano album. Perfection.

11. slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    That's p
    Ooh. I was gonna' mention that, but didn't want to be the buzz killer.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I just picked up a copy of "Bare Trees" today- hadn't heard it in 10 years since I sold all my vinyl. Wonderful stuff, and McVie is so very very tasty. Plus I was listening to the Bluesbreakers ""Beano" album last week. :)

13. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Future Games is a good companion to the Bare Trees album.

14. slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    Seen 'em several times in different iterations. They blew the roof off at Fillmore West with " Station Man " during the first tour sans Peter. Also Bill Grahm gave me a royal ass-chewing that night!

15. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Fleetwood [email protected] Warehouse, New Orleans - January 30-31, 1970
    The Grateful Dead was also on the bill at these shows.

Mick Fleetwood remembering this night:

“That Dead song with the line ‘busted down on Bourbon Street’ (Truckin’, from the LP American Beauty), that was the night that Fleetwood Mac played with them at The Warehouse in New Orleans. Owsley had spiked the water fountains and, after our set, John McVie was out of it, and couldn’t handle the fact that the Dead were going to get up and play! So he stood in the audience while the rest of us jammed with the Dead. The audience loved it - a massive freak-out.”

“That was what caused Owsley eventually to go to jail. We were nearly there. We were following their car back to the hotel, absolutely out of it on acid. I drove the car from the back seat with my feet while somebody else worked the pedals from the side - nobody was in the driver’s seat. Oh God!” Mick nearly weeps. “We got lost and, by the time we arrived, they’d been busted…

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Fantastic post, a perfect summation of their career, well written Thor.

17. Sugar-Bear

Sugar-Bear

Feb 3, 2017
    That was perfect Thor !

18. Sugar-Bear

Sugar-Bear

Feb 3, 2017
    I totally agree with you

19. Sugar-Bear

Sugar-Bear

Feb 3, 2017

20. Sugar-Bear

Sugar-Bear

Feb 3, 2017

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021