I never realized John Mcvie was so good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by duke2004, Feb 3, 2009.

1. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    IIRC, Fleetwood and Peter Green walked out on John Mayall to found FM, but McVie either was still unconvinced or opted to make the transition more gradual for his long-time boss (he'd been on board since Mayall's first album) - either way, he lingered on for the Crusade record (while the Mac-less Macs recorded their first sessions with Bob Brunning on bass). Yet another example of his class. Great taste in women to boot, at least in the one case I'm aware of and alluding at...
    But yeah, I'd love to read about his experiences with the B-Breakers (sounds hippier like this, in a vintage way).

EDIT: oops, it appears Mick did get the sack from Mayall after all. The other two guys did quit on their own accord, giving appropriate notice aforehand (unlike others in BB history).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Bingo, that's it!

3. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    20 years ago today, Fleetwood Mac released "Time". Mostly regarded as a commercial disappointment, there are a couple gems within. McVie plays as sparsely as ever in this tune... exactly what the song needs, and very little else.

For the Peter Green fans among us, I'm pretty sure that's who Mick is referring to in this song.

Band personnel on this album were, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Billy Burnette, Bekka Bramlett, and Dave Mason. (yeah, *that* Dave Mason)

4. Playing my fretless last night while listening to Pandora, two FM songs came on, both Christine McVie songs.

I noticed the "You Make Lovin' Fun" is tuned a bit sharp. Quite handy to have been playing fretless at the time, I was able to adjust immediately. I went to YouTube and compared a live version - not sharp.

"Say You Love Me" also came on, and that's not sharp.

So I wonder what the deal is w/ the first one? Perhaps the sped the tape up a bit at mix time, wanting to increase the tempo just a bit?

As for the bass playing, lots of fun. Never paid much attention to him or FM as they were just "always there" in my youth and a bit "soft" for my tastes at the time.

He keeps things really simple during the verses, then seems to like to mix it up a bit during the chorus and outro. Cool. Great tone too.

5. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey

Some bands like the Beatles did this intentionally. They would play back a backing track at a slower speed and lay down vocals in a lower key then play it back at normal speed. They liked how it changed their voices.

Other times the recording is sped up during mastering - usually by mistake, such as original pressings of Billy Joel's debut album. I had a mid-80s pressing of Who's Next that played way too fast.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  6. Key Lime

Key Lime Inactive

Oct 23, 2015
    I've always loved McVie's lines with Fleetwood Mac. He tends to get overlooked. Maybe because he wasn't a flashy player? Probably. But he knew just what to play to suit the song. I can't imagine Fleetwood Mac without him.

EdwardofHuncote and JMacBass65 like this.
  7. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    McVie_Godin.jpg McVie_Godin2.jpg Caught these pictures of McVie from Australian media. Judging by the reviews, their tour seems well received in the Land Down Under.

@BAG - looks like John has a trans-white Godin Shifter too, with a tort pickguard! :thumbsup: :woot:

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    That is no surprise. Clapton is the king of play the notes you need and leave the rest out.

amusicalperson likes this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I love Fleetwood Mac. I was just becoming really aware of music when Rumors came out. Pretty much hit after hit off that thing. It wasn't till the mid eighties that I learned more about FM and their history only to shockingly, at the time, discover they had started out as a blues band (not blues rock as someone earlier said)! I went out and grabbed several of the earliest albums at used record shop and after I got over the shock of how great this cat named Peter Green that I'd never heard of was, I got really intrigued by McVie's bass playing. Kind of dove into it all the way from early to the later radio stuff that I grew up on.

Fleetwood Mac is all about evoloution. Blues band to ethereal stuff with Bob Welch to one of the most successful pop/rock bands of all time. All seemingly driven by their horrendous luck with guitarists! Quite a thing if you think about it.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that Ed. Haven't seen these before. Haven't seen a white shifter before either.
    I would love to have gone to one of their shows but the prices are just stupid expensive. Would have cost me over $200 for a basic ticket and then i'm looking at 5 hours travel each way, accommodation etc. I had a look at tickets the other day and the cheapest left was over $400 :eek:

I was spoiled as a youngster. I worked as a roadie for some of the top Aussie acts in the late 80's and early 90's and if I wanted to go to a gig a could nearly always scam free tickets. I just can't pay stupid money for a gig. Heck, my favorite band possibly of all time, Counting Crows, was playing in Sydney this year. The wife was more than happy for me to go but even with a reasonably priced ticket the weekend would have cost me well in excess of $500. Then there's the possibility of the gig not being as good as you would hope. That happened when I saw Alice Cooper years ago. It wasn't the bands fault, but the sound was crap. At least that gig didn't cost me anything.

Minor rant over.:D

11. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Oh I get it BAG, and I'm with you on the prices. If it had been that much here in the U.S. I'd have just watched the YouTube vids. It was only a 2 hour trip for me, and I had awesome seat on eye level with the stage for less than $100. And honestly if it had been anyone other than Fleetwood Mac, I'd have flinched at that rate. I saw James Taylor in the same arena for $60, *and* got to meet up and hang out with Jimmy "Flim" Johnson before the show. (Flim and Mac... probably my two biggest heroes) :)

That said, they did not disappoint... I was totally psyched all the way home that night.

12. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Yeah...... rub it in further Ed and add a bit of salt next time. :laugh:

I got to see James Taylor back in '89 as a freebie. The storms in Sydney that night were so bad the radio stations were saying "don't be on the roads unless it is absolutely necessary". I call free tickets to JT a bloody good reason to drive through storms and floods. :D

JMacBass65 and EdwardofHuncote like this.
  13. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've heard people say that the way he played was why he was known as "Slow Hand". In an interview he said that he got that nickname as it was short for "Slow Hand Clap(ton)". Basically, it was his mates taking the piss that he was so boring that he deserved a slow hand clap from the audience.

14. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Once I started playing (in the 2000's) I sort of snobbishly dismissed them as a pop band from when I was a kid in the 70's. Then recently I looked up a youtube video of him playing that classic bassline at the end of The Chain. Since then I have watched that clip 5-10 times. He's really amazing in the 70's live clip but the sound quality is horrendous in the video. In the 90's tour he's still got pretty amazing chops. I also enjoyed watching Lindsay Buckingham go crazy on the strange looking guitar of his. Almost looks like a Uke but sounds like an electric guitar. I read somewhere that he played a fretless with an aluminum (or was it stainless steel) fingerboard. He joked about it having one fret.

EdwardofHuncote and JMacBass65 like this.
  15. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    209071.jpg I believe this is the one...

It's an Alembic Series I, with a stainless steel fingerboard, often referred to as "continuously fretted" by Susan Wickersham.

Doner Designs likes this.
  16. Nice find. What's with the bridge? No ability to adjust intonation per string, as far as I can tell.

17. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I guess intonation is all in the left hand in that case. IIRC, they called it a "bar bridge"... that's common to all fretless Alembics of that time. Also note, it's fastened to a block of brass embedded in the top for extra sustain.

18. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I read somewhere it was because of how he changes his own strings (slowly) when one breaks.

19. I gotta say, that seems like a really stupid idea. Why make everything harder than it needs to be?

20. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    It's not as upside-down as you'd think... upright basses have always had uncompensated bridges.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021