I never realized John Mcvie was so good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by duke2004, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I almost said that yesterday. Also, with an unlined fretless you end up playing more by ear anyway.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  2. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    It's a solidbody guitar, custom made by Rick Turner, a former Alembic employee. Rick makes a few of these a year and also a bass version.

3. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Very cool unique look and sound.

4. I understand all that - I play a fretless, unlined, which is why I don't go crazy setting the intonation on it, close enough it good enough.

That said - I fail to see any advantage to this bridge design for an electric bass, so what's the point? Alembic HAS a compensating bridge, why not use it? It's certainly not a cost saving measure - it's a freaking Alembic.....

So why choose to do it this way? It makes ZERO sense to me, unless the aim is to be as purist as possible - "just like an upright" - being the mindset.

5. OK - quick update to my post above. I found a picture of another FL Alembic, and they at least have the bridge angled to make a bit of an adjustment:

29470.jpg

This make good sense, and would be close enough, I'm sure. And - I have seen similar on fretted electrics.

But McVie's is straight across - with no consideration for proper intonation. Weird I say.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    If you look at an upright bass bridge it goes parallel to the nut. Just an observation.

7. I know that.

But think about how OLD that design is.

Just because something has always been done a certain way, doesn't mean it should continue to be done that way.

My point is - Alembic had their own compensating bridge design at the time, why not use it? Why would they deliberately say "well, it's fretless, the player can adjust on the fly."

While that is certainly true, you are still making things more challenging than they need to be.

I'm always up for a good challenge, but it seems to me, this would simply get in the way of creativity and expression.

8. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Here's one somebody I know owns. This is supposedly the only one in this color.

[​IMG]

JMacBass65 likes this.
  9. halvis

halvis Disciple of Leo Fender

Oct 18, 2015
    nw SC & ne GA

10. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    @jmacbass
    I'm guessing that was the next evolution of fretless (ahem, *continuously fretted*) Alembics. ;)

FWIW, I recently ordered a custom fretless 5-string from Alembic, loosely based on McVie's and a couple others, but I really hadn't given much thought to the bridge. Since mine will have sidelines, I assume the bridge will be the modern standard, compensated on each individual string.

11. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Cool color for a Model One. I started a thread for Turner instruments a while back... it's pretty quiet in there. Renaissance/Turner Basses Club

12. A surprisingly good album. (the Billy Joel debut).

13. nolaguy

nolaguy

Jun 27, 2011
    One of my favorite McVie performances is on Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London. It's a deceptively simple part, but if you listen he never plays the riff exactly the same. An eye opener- to me at least.

Stubawlls and RHFusillo like this.
  14. Sure would be interesting if not!! ;)

15. halvis

halvis Disciple of Leo Fender

Oct 18, 2015
    nw SC & ne GA
    nolaguy, thanks for the video, I either never knew McVie played on Zevons WOL, or had forgotten. I have been a seeker, collector, and purveyor of vinyl since the late 1970's, and I will never forget the reaction of a friend and customer, when I came back from an out of state record show with the Werewolves of London picture disc he had requested. (seen above at the 8 second mark in the video you posted) The bear hug and check was more than enough, but he insisted on providing a steak dinner and way too many beers as well.

16. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    39 years ago today...

17. Stubawlls

Stubawlls

Jul 13, 2015
    The alternative take rocks out, is a bit more rough and ready and has the bass up front. Check it out.

18. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Love that run down at the 1:02 mark!

19. John McVie... His superb playing got me interested in major pentatonics. He weaves the five black-key notes into melodic, supportive bass lines that never seem repetitive, in spite of the need to be concise in a big sounding band. The lock-in with Mick Fleetwood is phenomenal.

20. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    So good that Silver Springs didn't make the cut!

There is a moment on the "Classic Albums--Rumours" episode where Mick is listening to the isolated bass track on one of the songs and says, "awww, you're a monster, John".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021