I never realized John Mcvie was so good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by duke2004, Feb 3, 2009.

1. They still owe New Zealand a visit too, after the gigs of last year got cancelled. And very cool: Apparently his ex-wife has rejoined the group! :)

2. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    They have posted 34 U.S. dates, beginning in September, and from an interview (I think it was Rolling Stone) the recently rejoined Christine McVie confirmed a "World Tour" was being discussed. If so, I can't imagine them not coming back to pick up where they left off in Australia/New Zealand.

volker likes this.
  3. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Was reading back through this thread and caught this post... a BIG +1 for me, the bass part on "Angel" is incredible. Also recommended from the mostly underappreciated Tusk album, check out John's lines on "Beautiful Child". Here's a more recent rendition, though the key is down a step, the line is darn near identical to the original track from 1979. I think he's playing a fretless Renaissance bass on this one.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

(Wow, a notification came through.) Very timely, as I was mowing the lawn last weekend and had the headphones and iPod going. One of my fave cuts on there that kills is the blistering bass line on "Miles Away" from Mystery to Me. John is usually a bit more subtle and understated, but he lets the bass monster out of the cage on that cut. I'd love to cover that, but, alas, my guys could never pull off the guitar lines.

One tends to forget what a power hitter John could be live with the Peter Green band. That line recapitulates his "stones to the wall when he wants to" capability. Finesse and power. Great combination.

jallenbass likes this.
  5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Groove master! I grew up with 70's Fleetwood Mac coming out of my radio constantly. Those songs and basslines and ingrained in my DNA. John is a bass hero of mine. Always grooving, in the pocket and is the glue that holds everything together. =)

6. John McVie is my favorite bass player. Has anyone listened to his live performance on "I'm So Afraid" off of "The Dance". Lindsey Buckingham performed an exquisite guitar solo that would have seemed quite naked if not for McVie's bass performance. McVie made the song!

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    After reading through this thread and listening closer to some Mac tunes suggested I just realized what a huge influence JMcV has had on my playing. I never realized it before. Probably because I grew up with my dad playing Mac in the house all the time. Good stuff...

8. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm really anxious to hear what he played on the new Fleetwood Mac album. From what I have read, there are 8 new tunes in the can, several of which are pretty tight. His lines on "Sad Angel" from last year's EP were reminiscent of the Rumours-Tusk-Mirage-Tango era... same playful, unmistakable McVie licks.

9. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Thought I'd bump this thread...

The band has been in
    rehearsals with the 2014 tour kicking off in a couple weeks.

It will be nice to see John back out onstage. :thumbup:

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Looks like they are back on top of the game.

11. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    In honor of having *finally* finished raking leaves out of the yard for this year, Fleetwood Mac's "Bare Trees" is getting a long overdue spin this morning.

12. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

I saw John down under in the early 1980s touring with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, with some dude called Mick Taylor on guitar, WHAT A BAND THAT WAS!!! I remember John ripped a fingernail out, blood spurting everywhere, never missed a beat.

13. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've always thought Bare Trees and Future Games were overlooked gems in the Fleetwood Mac catalog.

14. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    In listening to Bare Trees years ago, I remember thinking Christine's "Homeward Bound" was prophetic. She was writing/singing about being fed up with the road in 1972, but didn't hang it up for another 25 years.

She seems to be really enjoying her return to the band this year though, and I'm quite thrilled to see the full Rumours era band together again at last. I'm planning to catch them in the Spring here in Virginia.

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    McVie has been a big influence on me. The 1975 Fleetwod Mac album really captured my attention, most notably how McVie's Rhiannon bass line so perfectly interplayed with the guitar melody and the beat of the drums.

16. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    A recurring theme on almost every Fleetwood Mac thread seems to revert to which band was superior... or whatever. And I take a pass on commenting every time, because, well... that's ear-of-the-beholder perspective that's bound to get you flamed if you choose one or the other. Besides that, I like at least *some* of it *all*. I have listened intently to the recorded material from Peter Green's band all the way to last year's EP. Stepping into the role of a bass player (outside just being a fan), I listen mostly for Mick & John, the band's namesake, and almost every time I notice something that I hadn't before. They play *exactly* what needs to be played. Every time - every band.

I always had a little different take on Fleetwood Mac, having been a senior in high school when "Tango" came out, and techno-pop was threatening the universe. Lindsey Buckingham quitting the band right before the tour... that was BIG rock-and-roll news in 1987. That was the band I knew and liked, but they were also who turned me onto the Bob Welch, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, and Peter Green incarnations of Fleetwood Mac. Even then I thought it was pretty cool that here was a band that was already 20 years old.

I was (and still am) a true fan, and went on to enjoy the next two less successful versions that included Billy Burnette, Rick Vito, then Dave Mason (yeah, *that* Dave Mason) and Bekka Bramlett. I might be one of the very few but proud people to actually own a copy of the "Time" album from 1995. :p Anyway, under different circumstances, the post-Rumours, pre-The Dance bands might've been seen for the great band(s) they still were, but that's just the breaks in the music business.

Having played in bands that had major personnel changes, that's a hard thing to deal with, even more so I have to believe, given the level they were already playing in the early 1970's. Buckingham and Nicks coming in... that wasn't an easy gig to walk into, but they did pretty well. And I haven't ever seen them be anything less than respectful of their predecessors. Whether they liked it or not, I don't know, but Lindsey Buckingham used to burn down the place with Oh Well, and Stevie's oft used line about a "Ghost in the Fog" is a product of exposure to the stuff of earlier Fleetwood Mac days. They had to have at least studied a little to achieve some semblance of continuity in an already established band, is the underlying point.

I guess their endurance amazes me almost as much as the music has... Mick & John just keep on playing. I just try to appreciate all of it.

Especially John McVie.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    blue4 likes this.
  17. Metalstevey

Metalstevey

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone who has seen him play Big Love live will agree:hyper:

Alixinchains likes this.
  18. Skeevenmac

Skeevenmac

Jan 27, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree! I just saw Fleetwood Mac last Sunday and McVie was awesome! Steady and in a super-groove! I had no idea.

19. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm catching his act in Greensboro N.C. Tuesday evening. Been watching the YouTube vids... he ain't lost a trick.

Skeevenmac likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021