Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iamp 800...noisy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    As someone who is very interested in the Iamp 800, I've read virtually every post here on TB mentioning this amp.
    I've come across a few posts where users have commented that it's a little "noisy", a "noisy little bugger" or that they were looking for an amp that had a lower noise floor than the Iamp 800.
    Could any current/former owners please elaborate?
    I'm seriously considering selling off the big rack system and going with the Iamp or going with a lighter weight power amp such as the Crest ST2000.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Mine has the teeniest, tiniest bit of hum but only when the horn is really cranked up on my cabs... Nothing to harp about. I've owned things that were much noisier. :cool:

3. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    I'm no expert - but compared to SWR and Eden gear I've used - the iAmp is dead quiet. I attribute that to the quality of the design/components, and because it's solid state.

Check one out for yourself...that's the only way you'll be able to be satisfied.

Red

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I've tried SWR, Hartke and Eden... quite frankly, they're all much worst then the iAMP. But you'll still know that the amp is on in a quite room.

hope it helps
    PL

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the iAMP 500. It is noisier than I expected, then again I expected it to be dead quiet. Like Balor said, you'll notice it in a quiet room. When I practice in the basement, I notice it when I first start then it blends into the background. It is quieter than say a Yorkville but not dead quiet like my Peavey TNT was.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my 800's a bit hissy with acme cabs, but nothing too distracting.

i will say however, that the DI and headphone outs are a little too hissy for my tastes.

Mike?

7. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I do appreciate all of the feedback. All the comments lead me to believe that the Iamp isn't nearly as noisy as I suspected.
    I honestly get a good bit of hiss and hum (in a very quiet room) from my rack set up and I think that's to be expected when you have a signal that's going through several pieces of gear.
    My Demeter preamp seems to be the main suspect in the hiss/hum investigation. When I turn it on, there is a few seconds of delay as the tubes warm up but then there is an audible increase in the hiss/hum coming out of my cabs.
    The Iamp sounds like it will be quieter than my current set up.
    Thanks for the comments and I hope more more people chime in!

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I second that. I have not tried the DI, but the headphones are too noisey to use. While the hiss dosen't bother me when playing through the cab, it is very irritating with the headphones. I was hoping that the DI did not have the problem though :(

jokerjkny, do you have the Jensen option on the DI? And is the DI hissy even in "pre" mode?

9. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Really didn't use the DI, but I didn't think it to be too noisy. Listen to Vanselus's recording of the Iamp on the basstasters site, you really have to listen for the hiss to hear it. I even think I'm imagining it in those .mp3s. As for the headphone amp, it really isn't such a big deal if you practice with a CD playing ibn the stereo in.

take care
    PL

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't get any noise such as static,hum, or RF.

I notice a little hiss from the CXL 12L's horn when I run it in a quiet environment. It doesn't bother me.

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I didn't find the DI to be too noisy but I didn't use it for much more than some simple recordings. I have not used the headphone out... I have a PHA-1 for that. :cool:

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    This is like guys with Bentleys or Lexus' discussing the interior db of their rides and then we decide that they must be as noisey as our Chevy. If an EA is noisy it doesn't feel well.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My iAMP 800 seems to be pretty darn quiet, but then again, I have not tried the headphone output, yet. One thought, though. Those of you who have heard some hiss, try turning the aux input either all the way off, or all the way on (presuming that there isn't anything plugged into it). For whatever reason, I had some hiss issues with my Eden Navigator, and Eden tech support gave me some similar advice, which nipped the problem right in the bud.

Tom.

14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have heard some hiss out of every amp Ive ever played through. IMO its only a problem if you can hear it above your playing.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    very true...

16. It has no more noise than any other amp I've owned. I can hear a slight hiss in a dead quiet room. It is not at all noticeable to me when playing.

Cool amp.

17. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I appreciate all the replies. I'm still debating, but I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new Iamp 800. I do like my Demeter/Crest set up but that 19lbs and clean tone is looking mighty attractive.

18. If you do pull the trigger, please post a review...is it louder, quieter, or about what you expected. I'm really liking 19lbs, and 1000watts@2ohms myself.

19. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just got off the phone from putting in the order. It will hopefully be here by Saturday or maybe Monday.
    I'll let everyone know how it compares to the Demeter/Crest set up driving two CXL112s.
    It'll be the big tone showdown.

"In this corner, in the light heavy weight division, wearing the dark SKB 6 space rack" - The gang of five! Furious Furman power conditioner, Killer Korg DTR-2, Lucky Lexicon MPX 200, Dangerous Demeter VTBP 201s and the Crazy Crest LT1500.

"In this corner, in the junior welter weight division, wearing a power cord and a smile" - Euphonic Audio's bad boy from New Jersy - the "I ain't gonna take it anymore" Iamp 800!

I want a clean fight: keep your gains up, your EQ's flat, and no effects. Go back to your corners and come out at the bell!

20. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I own an iAMP 800 for about a month now.

I would say it is very quiet with my CXL112, but in a totally quiet room you can hear some hiss and some buzzing. The fan in my computer completely drowns the noise out. That means, when the computer is running it is impossible to hear if the amp is on or off.
    It is very much quieter than my GK200 MB.
    The headphone output is a little noisy, but much better than the GK200 or the SWR Grand Prix preamp (and both have the reputation of being top-notch studio amps). I work around that with a little volume control from radio shack that I put in series with the headphone.