ibanez k5 worth buying for 400$??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by biostorm, Oct 15, 2011.

1. biostorm

biostorm

Oct 15, 2011
    hi im kind new to bass and i was wondering if it was worth buying an old red ibanez K5 for 400$?? .

2. The k5 is the fieldy signature bass from Ibanez. Are you sure it comes in red? Anyways its basically just an sr1305 with a different fingerboard inlay at the 12th fret. I bought my SR 1300 for around $400 almost 10 years ago. I would get him lower by at least down to $300 without even looking at it.

3. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Hell no.

4. Jmac66

Jmac66

Aug 2, 2011
    Ellenboro, NC
    How red is it, if its painted red it may be refinished or even a parts bass. As far as I know the K5 only came in transblack and some are natural mahogany which I guess can look kind of red

5. biostorm

biostorm

Oct 15, 2011
    yeah its the first version of it that came in that mahogany colour , not the black one . heres a pic
    Ibanez K5 Fieldy Signature 5-String Bass Guitar

i know its the fiedly bass and im not a big fan of korn or that ugly K5 inlay . but 400$ is my max price range , and im sure this bass is better then any other ibanez SR models that run for under 400$ right . so in the end even with that ugly ass inlay ... would it be the better bang for my buck ? i can try to bring him down to 300$ . but he said he bought it only 2 months ago and this bass is well worth over 800$ .

let me know what you guys think plz and thx

6. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    You can get a lot better quality for that kinda money. Even a non-signature Ibanez in the same price point is going to give you more.

7. Kaappari

Kaappari

Nov 26, 2009
    Finland
    For what i have heard, The old K5 was a great bass and 400 isn't that much money. And besides, who cares that it is a fieldy singnature bass if it plays well.

8. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    You can do way better with $400 and it won't be a fieldy bass with ugly inlay :D

check classifieds tons of great stuff on there

9. biostorm

biostorm

Oct 15, 2011
    Do you guys have any sugestions on what other model would be good for 400$ ? (oh yeah this will mostly be used to play deathmetal/deathcore). If i buy used im trying to buy local i hate dealing with shipping and handling ect.. plus i like to try out my product before i buy it .

thx for the help so far .

10. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    For 400$ an old K5 is - IMO - a very good purchase - I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The first models had a sandwitch padauk/mahogany/padauk body with wenge/walnut neck. Ignore the K5 inlay (although I think it's cool) and maybe replace the gold hardware with black stock hardware and you'll have a killer bass. In spite of being designed to sound mid scooped (Fieldy's sig tone), the bass is still pretty versatile and you can get a lot of tones out of it.

As for non sig Ibby basses, a SR500/505 would be a great deal too, if you can find one cheaper than the store price. In general any bass higher than that in the SR/SRX/SRA/SRT/EDB line would be a good purchase.

11. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I would agree, I would go for the SR500 or greater than the K5. You could probably find a used one for cheaper than 400.

12. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I till own my, good bass and had to use it a few time at gigs, but it's my second choice. Fast narrow neck with good tone.

13. Honestly, if you forget about the name, its a great bass made from a great platform. The mid 90 Sr1300's where there top of the line in that era. The only thing i would worry about would be a mid scoop in the preamp, but that's easily solved. Inspect it for little nicks and dings and see if he will come down on the price.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021