Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez sr 905, opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbasso, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Alrighty...

I am in the market for a five string bass. I was browsing ebay when I found a nice Ibanez. I am one of the few that actually like Ibanez bass's, I love the necks on most of their models. This particular model is the sr905, neck-thru, active Bart MK1s, maple body, etc. Comes with the hard case pictured. How much do you think this is worth? Used, but in amazing condition. Would it be worth purchasing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any opinions are appreciated. It looks good to me, I am coming from a gsr100, probably the worst bass I have ever played, so Im sure this is going to be amazing to me, lol.

Thanks guys

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used an SR-885 for a few years (since 1999). I am sure it was a little different than the 905 you are looking at, but still had a lot of the features that people like about Ibanez basses.

As far as the one you are looking at goes, what is the price? What is the price range you are looking at? If you can get that for around $400, that probably isnt a bad deal. If you are looking more toward $600-800 range, there could be other options.

I recently picked up a used Peavey Cirrus bass and it is a complete world of difference from my old Ibanez- and has a lot of the same qualities. Narrow string spacing around the top, very flat neck. But the tone is out of this world by comparisson.

3. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Sadly, the price isnt as low as 400, it is at 500 right now. About a day left. Im not exactly sure what resale is like on basses, but IIRC, these are around 900-1000 brand new.

I do have 600 to spend, that would have to include shipping (unless GC carries the model you would suggest)

Could I pick something better up used on ebay?

4. Actually the Prestige retail for close to a grand, the 900 series are closer to $700 and $800.

-ryan-

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Musician's Friend has it listed at about $850. Not bad. I've seen the 4 string version in see-thru black (gorgeous) go for more at a small shop in Central Massachusetts (btw, that SR 900 was fantastic and I don't even care for the SR series!).

You know, if this SR905 turns out too be a bit too pricey, you could look into the SR505. Its a pretty cool axe that’s not much unlike the 905. However, it has a 5-piece wenge/bubinga neck and mahogany body with silky smooth oiled finish (Warwick on a budget, anyone?). But as far as I know, it has the same Barts and preamp and hardware as the 905.

r

6. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up bidding on it, I personally think it is beautiful (the pics do not do it justice, I can tell)

If I end up winning it, luckily it will be a local pick up, and I will take it home and snap some better pics.

Im just so happy to be moving up from my GSR100, which isnt the worst bass to learn on, but its hard to live with yourself when you progress, and are still stuck with such a horrible bass.

I have heard great things about the 505 also, and it looks great. I personally like the lighter colored woods, but the darker are still beautiful.

Im glad I can come here for some quick help, thanks so much!

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Here is a maple Cirrus-5 listing, just for your comparisson. However, it is 35" scale.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have a SR905CNF that I bought new last year. I fell in love with a used SR905NTF a year ago. Went back to buy it a day later and it was sold. I new I had to get one. It took quite awhile for mine to arrive (5 mths).

It's a great bass. Great neck, and electronics. Never thought that i'd be a Ibanez owner, and a very happy one at that.

Yours is the NTF or natural finish which was available through 2004. Mine is the CNF finish which is a burgundy/red finish.

Good luck. Hope you win the bass. You won't be sorry if you do.

TD

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Hardly - you'll find more then a fair share of Ibbi-lovers here. Just look at my signature. :smug:

While I wouldn't purchase an Ibanez SR now, it's purely out of where my personal style has shifted (J-basses and pups, slightly wider string-spacing) the quality over the past few years has risen dramatically in both their midrange and upper-level lines.

Good luck on the auction!

10. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    That Cirrus is BEAUTIFUL! Honestly, would it be worth the extra money over the sr905? Total price of the sr would be 550 if I do win, the cirrus would be 655, and that would be if the price didnt change in those 6 days, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

I will update you guys tomorrow on the status.

11. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Well I won it!

Final Cost: $560, not bad at all with the case included

I cant wait to get it

12. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    well i have a 900 (as you can see from my thread) and i must say it is one of the best basses ive ever played! its amazing!:hyper:

13. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I saw that, its beautiful by the way, I love the finish!

14. Sorry to bring up a really old thread, but i have an Ibanez SR905NTF, and you say these were available through 2004. Do you mean that's when the NTF finish came into production, or was 2004 the only year the NTF finish was made? Thanks, rock on!

15. The way I read it is that 2004 was the last year the NTF finish was available.

BasseeJames likes this.
  16. Awh right yeah thanks that makes sense actually! Cheers dude! :)