Identifying vintage Gibson bass bridge - help required!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Shaw, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Ryan Shaw

Ryan Shaw

Aug 11, 2020
    IMG_4633.JPG
    Hey, I'm looking for some help. I've been given a vintage Gibson EB3 (? - pic below), but it has no bridge piece. I've been searching online for original and replacement parts but can't seem to find any that fit.

I have the tailpiece of the bridge and the posts here, but no bridge piece. I can't actually find another bass online with this type of bridge - only either the old 2-point single piece bridge, the tune-o-matic or the 3 piece bridge - all of which have integrated tailpieces.

Am I missing something? Can anybody help me to identify this bridge piece or even where I can get the missing part?

R

IMG_4574.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4631.JPG IMG_4633.JPG

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That is not a Gibson but a Japanese knock off.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    MCF, Jeff Scott, Mvf and 5 others like this.
  3. Ryan Shaw

Ryan Shaw

Aug 11, 2020
    Can you send a link or post a picture of the fender bridge?

godofthunder59 likes this.
  4. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
  5. Ryan Shaw

Ryan Shaw

Aug 11, 2020
    Ah yes I see. Yeah, I'll try and find measurements for the fender bridge then to see if I could definitely attach it.

Whats the deal with the Japanese knockoff thing? Truth be told, I don't know anything about this bass.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    That style of bass was made in Japan under a bunch of different names: Greco, Avon, Antoria, Jedson, etc.
    It's definitely missing the saddle: note that I state singular. This design doesn't allow for adjustment or intonation.
    نتيجة بحث Google عن الصور حول https://pictures1.kyozou.com/pictures/_30/29194/29193563.jpg

If you plan to keep it, I'd get a different bridge. I think that you will be challenged finding a direct replacement, but maybe the Hipshot SuperTone would work.
    https://www.wwbw.com/Hipshot-SuperTone-Gibson-2-Point-Bass-Bridge-424089.wwbw

7. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I would be surprised if the spacing or the anchors lines up, there is also the threads to consider. Worth looking into though. The more I think about it I would just make a bar saddle and go with that.

Ryan Shaw likes this.
  8. Grunthor

Grunthor

May 19, 2020
    There is another top plate that is missing as well as the saddle. The saddle was a thin stamped piece of sheet metal that produced a bass sitar(!) like sound. I made a saddle out of a piano black key once. Bass is long gone and sadly, no pics.
    I have a spare top plate, if you want to make a saddle for it.

MCF and Ryan Shaw like this.
  9. Ryan Shaw

Ryan Shaw

Aug 11, 2020
    Could you PM me some photos of it? That'd be great.

10. Grunthor

Grunthor

May 19, 2020
    Sadly, I have no camera at the moment. If you want it, PM me your address and I'll send it along.

11. Ryan Shaw

Ryan Shaw

Aug 11, 2020
    I think this is what I'm going to do. How do you reckon I could go about it? Especially in order to get the intonation right.

MCF likes this.
  12. Grunthor

Grunthor

May 19, 2020
    Usually, just angling the saddle is enough. All of the strings are wound.

13. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    From Talk Bass "Who still has their High School bass rig" #180.
    Looks like your bridge was two piece and you are missing part of it. This is one piece.

20200809_173126.jpg

Ryan Shaw likes this.
  14. Mvf

Mvf

Feb 1, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    That is not a Gibson bridge and the bass is not a Gibson. The pups, the switch, the finger rest ... are not correct

edit: As I now see many have pointed out before me :)

Ryan Shaw and wmhill like this.
  15. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    Another one

01414_hltWiRXLRJl_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg

MCF likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021