1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm about to underpower this cab to the max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by need4mospd, Jun 27, 2006.

1. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    So, I'm planning on picking up a used Schroeder 310212 for a steal this weekend. Only problem is, I've got a pretty weak 450 watts Ampeg B2RE at this time. I have every intention of upgrading this within 2-3 months, whether that be with a power amp or a new head.

Will it be ok to run the Ampeg through this beast for a while until I find the right amp? Or should I keep my Ampeg 410HE around until I can power the Schroeder properly?

The 310212 might be overkill, but at the price, I can't pass it up. Plus, we've got some serious bass driven songs in our band and it would be nice to REALLY be heard over the blaring Marshall stack.

2. As many have posted, underpowering a cab is absolutely fine (actually you can't really technically 'underpower' a cab anyway). The power rating of a cab represents the suggested maximum power, not any sort of minimum requirement. It might not sound great (although Jorg's cabs are so efficient that it should sound fine), but you won't harm it.

Have fun.

K

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    As KJung said underpowering is fine. That number on the back is the manufacturers suggested maximum power. You can usually run about twice that without problems but less is also certainly fine, it won't damage the cab in any way, you just might have problems with headroom and definatly watch out for excessive clipping because even with a "weak" amp clipping can damage your speakers.

4. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    There is no inherent danger in running your present 450W RMS amp into a cab that's capable of handling 2100W RMS, provided you avoid cranking the amp up further than you would have done with the other cab.

And why would you? You'll have absolutely no reason to, because the Schroeder 310212 has much higher sensitivity (104dB) than the Ampeg 410HE (a mere 98dB). In other words, the Schroeder is louder per Watt than the Ampeg - a LOT louder - so I'm sure you won't feel any need to push your amp harder than you were doing before.

Go for it. You're fine. :D

5. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
  6. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
  7. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    the other question is, can you underpower a cab to the max, or only to the min?

8. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    My older, even more under powered, B2R (350W vs 450W) has a limiter on it which seems to prevent it from clipping. I've driven it to 11 so to speak and never had any problems (other than not being sufficiently loud). The amp is not very loud, but it seems well designed. I doubt you need to worry about destroying your cabinet too much.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If underpowering a cabinet were dangerous, we could never turn our amps off. ;)

crust_cheese likes this.
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    There is no way a 450 watt amp will damage a 2100 watt cab. At most, the head will peak at 900 watts clipped, which will still be fine for the cab.

11. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    That is pretty much all I was worried about. It might sound funny, but it won't hurt the speaker. Cool.

Wow, I never really understood what sensitivity meant until now. For some reason it just made sense.

Sorry for the noob question. I'd read about not being able to underpower the cabs, but I didn't really understand it in full. I'll crank my little 450 watts proud now.

12. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    No need to apologise for asking help/advice - that's what the forum's for! :D

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I ran my 1965 Fender Bassman (45 watts on a great day) into my Schroeder 410 (rated for 1600 watts) quite a bit, and it sounded really, really good.

14. You sure it didn't instantly blow up the speakers?:D

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, while I can't say for sure, the cab seemed to respond to all 1600 watts of qsc/plx 1602 and Eden Navigaqtor pretty well last weekend. I'll pull all four speakers and check when I go home tho if'n y'all really want me too.

I miss that bassman sometimes, and the 1600 watt rated Schroeder 410 was really the only cab I ever liked it with...

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    How and where'd you get a steal on a 310212 in Houston? ;)
    Wish I had a crack at it! ;)

17. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I didn't get it in Houston. I drove to Dallas to pick it up from a talkbass member!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235071

18. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Update on this one....

The B2RE is actually really friggen loud through this cabinet. I'm not sure I'll even need more power. It sounds great too.

19. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Change of subject, but how do you feel aboutt he ampeg b2re head? I am concidering buying one, with the matching bse410hlf and I'm wondering how owners feel about theirs. Thanks!