1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

I'm in trouble Ya'll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    The wife who has been a clarinet and piano player has decided to take on bass...I don't know whether to be scared or excited...

on one hand it could open up new shopping opportunities...on the other hand she might end up being better than me...:woot:

well at least i have drums...lol

40096_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=tVS897vZ3IEAX8C0wug&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.jpg

2. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Thats funny, my gurl did the same many years ago, it didn't last very long (not good, or bad just how it worked out) but long enough to acquire a couple of basses. I still have "her" basses in my rotation...I would suggest buying her your dream bass, quick!...;)

Seriously though I hope she enjoys it, she looks pretty comfy with it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    My husband took up bass 2 years ago. So now have a Sire V3-5 as a great back up beater bass. I should have been smart and bought him a Fender Adam Clayton Purple Sparkle.

5A876122-4E83-4D54-9295-98A1F1063E38.jpeg

4. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    she doesn't seem to have an opinion about what her dream bass would be as of yet....she seems quite content with my Jazz Basses (though she did acquire an cheap SUB bass recently)...but she does seem to favor the GK over my Mesa or Hartke amps...

5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    My wife plays trumpet and piano, and also took a shine to bass. She encouraged a purchase of a DB (which we sadly sold for a move) and the AEBG in our collection is technically hers. Never really took a shine to my electrics, though. I like it, it forces me to play more guitar! :thumbsup:

6. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    If my wife took up bass it would make christmas and birthday shopping wayyyyyyy more fun.

7. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Hehe, I said buy her your dream bass, and for goodness sake don't show her this thread...:D

8. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Honestly I don't know if i have one of those anymore....I have been blessed to own and play just about anything and everything i have ever wanted to try bass wise....in the last two years my collection has gone from 30+ basses down to 10 and truth be told i could probably get it down to 8...the only thing keeping me from getting it down even lower is the fact that i need to keep certain basses around for studio work...I'm honestly not a big fan of Jazz basses other than their necks...so at this point i'm content to let her have at them...

there are a couple of projects i would like to tackle though so maybe i'll go that route...

9. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    I know this conflict! I've been trying for years to get my wife interested in bass. I'm a decent musician, but she's exceptional by any measure. I want to share this joy with her, but I also know she'd pass me up in about 15 minutes, and shoot, that'll hurt a guy's pride!

It's moot in my case, though. I really laid into the "encouragement" during quarantine, which ended up in a new ukulele which is more her style anyway. I don't know if I should wish you more or less success than that :laugh:

10. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    on another subject she has totally embraced my other passion....lol and I have the bruise to prove it!

22430_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=cb-Wa_827xcAX-7-QCn&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.jpg

Crispus, MuttThud, Eli_Kyiv and 21 others like this.
  11. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    I get it, just funnin with ya. I feel the same (many blessings) (many basses) have a few choice set-ups for studio stuff, P with flats, P with rounds, P with J neck, Jazz, PJ ect. I am mentally thinning the herd, I am actually looking for hangers to get a couple out of the way...Take care :thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    Well now I have seen everything. I have seen the faces that bass players wear while playing, but your honey has the "bass foot" going on there.

13. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Bass foot?

Killing Floor and DTRN like this.
  14. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    It looks as if she's using her toes as one uses their face to accent their playing. Truth is maybe I have some sort of foot fetish. I hope I wasn't insulting as it was not my intent...it was a lame attempt at humor.

JettBlaq likes this.
  15. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

My wife actually had an interest in bass before we met. She bought herself an Ibanez GSR200 by going to a music store, playing a bunch of basses, and selecting the one the felt best to her (which is exactly the advice I would have given her had we known each other then). Her bass is a great player too. I really enjoy playing it myself.

During the lockdown, she asked me to start teaching her some stuff and it's been a lot of fun. Best of all, she "adopted" my '65P. So now I only have two basses and she has two basses. Plus, I still get to play them all. :D

Bottom line is don't be afraid. This is a good thing. The only advice I have have is that if she wants you to teach her stuff, let her decide what to learn. It's supposed to be fun, and nothing is more empowering to a new player than learning a song they really enjoy. Everything else will follow. :thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist, lowdownthump and DTRN like this.
  16. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I say excited. One more thing you guys can share together

Crispus, red_rhino and btmpancake like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just a hint. Don't use it as excuses to get things for you. Could end badly. But it's great you have passions in common.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    This is a good development. Until she needs a bass and you need a different bass at the same time. Not a bad problem to have though.....

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yay, more basses, more amps. Now you can buy a pedal “for us to try”!!!

C Stone and red_rhino like this.
  20. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021