Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm thinking of getting another bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 1, 2004.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

As maybe some of you know (or remember) I have a Carvin BB75 that I like so much, specially for its wide string spacing (perfect for a 5-string to me) and it sounds very nice IMO.

As I said in a previous thread, I have no comparison points here because a high-end bass is really expensive and stores don't bring that kind of stuff here. Anyway, if there's a bass that I like so much (judging by recordings) is the MusicMan StingRay, but I've never thought of getting one, because they come with 21 or 22 fret necks, and a 24-fret neck is very important to me since I play lots of tapping stuff (specially Stuart Hamm's).

Just for curiosity, I wrote to Ernie Ball asking if there's the possibility of a 24-fret StingRay and they told me "No, but our Bongo model comes with a 24 fret neck". Since that moment, I desperately want to get a Bongo HS 5 string, specially after reading reviews of it (StingRay on steroids), but I don't want to get rid of my Carvin. Besides, I want to have a neck-thru (the Carvin) and a bolt-on (Bongo) since after lots of playing I think they feel and play very different.

My question is, how do you compare the sound of the Carvin with the Bongo? I mean, do you think it would be like "redundant" to have both basses? The thing is: I think the Bongo is something REALLY different to the Carvin, but maybe I'm wrong. Of course, getting a MusicMan is not a waste of money, but I don't want to invest in something that doesn't make a difference.

Thank you in advance for your input.

2. I don't know...I would think that a bongo would be COMPLETELY different to a Carvin BB75. I've never played a Bongo, but I have played Stingrays and judging from the sound and feel of a Stingray, the BB75 would be a much different instrument.

I imagine a Bongo as a very cutting, growly, funky sort of instrument, where I see the BB75 as a more bluesy, jazzy instrument that can funk out when needed.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. But what I suggest is get the bongo and try it out. It's always good to have a backup axe anyway.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I checked out a Bongo double humbucker 4-string on Friday. I plugged into a Yorkville 200 watt combo, dialed in tone controls on amp and guitar to flat and started to play.

I was really impressed. It had a wonderful open, even sounding, full and deep sound. Quite unlike the descriptions I've heard applied to Stingrays which some folks have said can be a bit gritty and brite.

I found the preamp very quiet and natural-sounding and was conscious of hearing my playing dynamics more so than any other bass I remember lately including my own Godin BG-5, Lakland Skyline 55-01 and Fender Am Precision. The neck felt quite similar to my Precision (nut dimension is the same).

I'm seriously thinking of one of these. I haven't played a five string yet, but am a little bit leary of the B-string as it's a 34" scale. The 4-string sounded really awesome. I'm not quite sold on the non-trad design and colours but that double humbucker set-up and the preamp are killer.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Oye, compa:

Como ya lo sabes, mi imagino, tengo cuatro bongos, dos de cinco cuerdas y dos de cuatro. Nunca antes he tocado un bajo asi. Si obtengas un bongo, el bajo Carvin siempre va a quedarse bajo la cama.

Es un animal completamente distinto. Te lo recomiendo. Si tienes preguntas, estoy a tus ordenes.

Jack

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bovinehost, Babelfish translated your post as:

It hears, compa: As you already know it, my I imagine, I have four canoes, two of five cords and two of four. Before I have never touched low asi. If you obtain a canoe, the low Carvin always is going to remain under the bed. It is a completely different animal. You I recommend it. If you have questions, I am to your you order.

By the way, how do you like the sound of that five cord canoe? Goes thru batteries like crazy eh? Ahh, the internet...

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Canoes?

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Those translations are funny. The one I remember the most was on a message I posted several years ago to a Frank Zappa discussion board. I said: "I'm a rabid Zappa fan". Just for curiosity, I "Babelfished" this and it returned: "Yo soy un furioso ventilador Zappa", being "ventilador" the translation for "fan": A machine using an electric motor to rotate thin, rigid vanes in order to move air, as for cooling. :D