1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm torn between an SLB200 and an NS Design bass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by brake, Feb 18, 2008.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I know nothing about NS Design basses except that my shop can order them... I was planning on getting an SLB200 from Yamaha but was wondering what everyone here though.

I play jazz - No classical here.

2. I've played the SLB200 but not the CR4M from NS. I found the SLB200 to be somewhat lacking in sound, but it's a better design in terms of making you a little more comfortable with the upright feel.

I hear good things about NS (products and customer service). Good luck

3. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    i chose the slb200 because if feels like my urb, moreso than the stick design basses. really depends what you are after.... :)

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I use my CR4 as a practice instrument and when I'm too lazy to haul the big one around. I'm tempted to sell my CR4 to my teacher and grab an SLB200 or Alter Ego simply for the URBy feel. The CR4 is a bit weird to play at times, and I just want to feel the weight of the bass against me. Basses with a hip brace simply won't work I'm afraid.

5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I was mighty underwhelmed by the SLB200 I played; of course, it wasn't plugged in, but it still felt dead as a doornail.

The new Alter-Ego Baby Unico is in the same price range (or cheaper), and by all accounts those guys have nailed the URB-feel thing. I've had enough frustration with traveling recently to make me seriously consider getting one of these.

6. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    The exchange rate is killing me. Deadness is not neccessarily a problem. I want dead cuz I want a silent practice instrument.

I'm reconsidering the idea of buildling a body that the CR4 can attach to which has wings/ribs - the main thing I really want. Or maybe I'm nutty enough to build my own EUB.

7. If we're looking at the 2 grand price range, I would seriously consider coming down to New York and looking at Bill Merchant's new Vertical Bass model

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Not sure if i'm into the new hip brace tho. I like the old design better.

9. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

We're looking at the $3k-ish range, which is what the SLB200 is. $3195. The NS CR4M is $2795. Traveling hundreds of KMs to try a bass that I've never heard of and might not like seems like a bit of a silly notion to me.

The SLB is looking like the top contender now. I know I like the tone and the fact that it has the detachable upper body bout is pretty deadly. Not something that would seal the deal, but a plus to be sure.