1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Imagination time!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Mar 11, 2009.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Your rippin it up in the bass world, you find yourself bombarded with sponsorship deals and magazine shoots. Bass player just left a message asking if you would be interested in gracing the cover of the May Issue!
    On top of all of this, your favorite bass manufacturer approaches you in regards to possibly doing a Signature Model! YEAH!!!:hyper:

Now, it's up to you to come up with a design!
    What do you do? What woods would you choose? What brand and configuration of Pickups would you go with?

Basically, I'm asking you to design and describe what your Signature Model would be!!! Don't be afraid to get creative, and completely disregard price point. I haven't quite figured mine out yet, but thus far i KNOW it'd be a Jag style fender.

I don't know, maybe this is stupid but it's fun to fantasize and use your imagination right?

Oh yeah, if you have any Photoshop or Illustration skills try to do some mock ups as well!

2. This'll take awhile.Be back later.REALLY gonna think this one over.REAL GOOD!!!!

3. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Neck-thru body, natural wood body (dark, doesn't matter what kind), P-Bass pickups, maple neck and a "0-Fret"

:D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Well, since Carey Nordstrand doesn't do full customs any more...

Roscoe SKB7, wildly figured swamp ash body with a ceruse like finish, wenge wedge neck, Nordstrand dual coil pickups, 4 band preamp, birdseye maple fingerboard with paua abalone block inlays.

Also need a fretless SKB7, same body and neck woods, with an exhibition grade quilted maple top with amber or vintage yellow finish, Barts similar to what Zon uses in the Sonus Custom, 4 band preamp, with a subtly lined phenowood fingerboard.

Yep, that will do nicely.:bassist:

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Base bass design: Rickenbacker 4001
    Triangular inlays, super glossy Jetglo finish, black pickguard, ebony fingerboard, black trussrod cover. Fretted for the first seven frets, then fretless with the fingerboard at the level of the frets
    Electronics: Darkstar neck, standard bridge. Addition Rick pup in the middle position.
    3-way switch for the Rick pups, Rick pup volume, volume for blending in the Darkstar, and master tone.
    Stereo Rick-o-sound would put the Darkstar out one side and the Ricky pups out the other.

6. Ric body shape but with an arm and body contour like a jazz bass. Under 8 lbs. weight. Option for any combo of jazz, ric, MM, P pickups.. Color options Caribbean Burst, Dragon Burst, Bengal Burst, and transparent stains.

7. Hmmmm......I'd have Pete Skjold build me a jazz-type bass, not necessarily a jazz bass but something like one. It would have an 18 volt active EQ in it, have a swamp ash body with some kind of transparent colored exotic top like spalted flamed maple or quilted red wood, and have Pete's hottest set of pickups in it, something like a single coil but over wound to death. I'd have a birdseye maple fretboard with either a flamed maple or birdseye maple neck. The fretboard would have MOP block inlays with the 12th fret inlay spelling out my initials MTA. It would have to be a 5 string since that's what my band's music requires of me now, all 3 of them and my church.

8. I'd want..

'69 RI P Bass (made identically to orig.)

or

MIM Classic '70s Jazz, with my signature on the back of the headstock (that would easily increase the price like $200-$300) :D

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Ok, I've thought about it...

Fender Jaguar body
    Standard pick guard, although I'd implement the Jazz style V,V,T, input area.
    Keep the upper horn tone adjusters and add a proximity wah, but rid the bass of the bottom tone bay and implement an on-board bass oriented Kaoss Pad!
    Neck-Bound Ebony fretboard with Abalone block inlays
    Hipshot ultralite Tuning keys
    Badass II bridge
    DiMarzio Model J's

Finishes:
    Tobacco Burst, Woodgrain, Quilted Maple,
    or choices of Red, Blue, Orange, Green and Yellow transparent stains.

That'd be insane.

10. Maybe a Carvin IC5 or LB75 (tough choice - huh?)
    Bartolini PU's & 3-band EQ
    Quilt bigleaf maple fretboard w/dots
    Quilt bigleaf maple top wood (body/headstock)
    Finished like TB member "BurningSkies" rastaburst Dingwall < (that has to be one of the most beautiful finishes I've ever seen!

That's not gonna happen ^ :( so I'd be real happy with an Ibanez SR705 custom finished like ^

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'd turn them down. I don't ever believe one bass can do it all.