Impulse bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Apr 25, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    How many of us have walked into a music store or went online and dished out dough on a bass, solely on impulse?? You might have had no intention of buying anything in the store or online but then 'bammm'.....impulse hits and the wallet comes out.

I walked into a local music shop for some strings and ended up walking out with a MIM Fender Precision. No regrets but really weird when you stop and think about how strong a force impulse can be sometimes......Kind of like GAS with no warning.

2. More times than I care to count. And I no longer own any of them.
  3. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's how I came to own my Jazz. It was jsut there for a great price. Can't say no to a good deal. ;)
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, my ESP was a definite impulse. That's ok though, still a rockin' bass, no regrets in buying it. Though it may go for sale soon, as my Spector is a much better bass for me.

5. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    For my 17th birthday my grandma said she would buy me a bass. We went to guitar center and i really had my mind set on an Ibanez BTB 405, but they didnt have it. The wonderful GC salesman ( :spit: ) highly reccomends a Musicman 5 string and I tried one. At the time I had a dislike of musicmans.... but next thing I know my grandma is buying the bass for me.
    In hindsight, Musicmen basses are nice, but the bass my grandma bought wasnt for me. I sold it about 1 1/2 years later and bought a bass amp with the money.
    My experience taught me not to impulse buy. I decided to build my own bass instead.
  6. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Never, but that doesn't mean I'm not impulsive - it just means I don't have any money.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Oh yes. My OLP was complete impluse, my warwick was impulse, and my alembic is also an impulse.
  8. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA

Yep...i am very impulsive too
  9. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I bought my American Deluxe P-bass just on impulse, it was used and was a good price, my only other bass at the time was a squier, so I jumped on it. about 4 months later I traded it in for a Stingray. I would like to try out the newer models with the 18v preamp though, I hear those are much nicer than the old 9v that I had.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My Brownsville ABG was an impulse buy, in NYC looking through Sam Ash for no apparent reason, find two sitting there on clearance. Dropped a Benjamin on the counter and walked.

Other than that, my new Yamaha BB404F is definately an impulse buy.
  11. Bought a Stagg fretless as my first fretless

I just HAD to have it

took it back the next day. I was so impulsitve I didnt even notice that the pickup would move visibly back and forth when you would move the bass slightly.
  12. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    My Geddy was a total impulse buy. I went to check out the new GC in my area and buy a mike stand.

Came out with the bass (after, of course, the check-in call with the boss...)

Helped that I talked the guy down to $525.00. I think he was new. :p
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It has happened to me a couple of times.

The first time, I guess you could call it an impulse buy. I had looked around the D/FW area for a Jazz bass for a couple of months. Tried a lot of MIMs, and quite a few MIAs, and none of them spoke to me.

A few weeks after I stopped looking, I walked into a local shop(2 miles from my house!) and saw a tuxedo finish Jazz with maple board and black blocks. I have always loved that look.

Took it down off the wall, loved the neck, so I plugged it in. BAM! It sounded great. This bass had what all of the other Jazzes that I had tried were lacking.

I asked about the price, and the guy says 'Oh, that Geddy Lee signature model?' I was like 'What?!?!?' He showed me the back of the headstock. I didn't even know there was such an animal. They had only been out a few months when I got mine.

The other time, I went to GC for one of those massive NOS clearance sales they have. Saw a Hamer CH12 for $299, and had to have it. Took me an hour to get them to find me a battery(place was a madhouse!) so that I could make sure the preamp worked.
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  15. :help: Very guilty here, I've been very impulsive buying and selling instruments over the years. I don't have any of those impulse buys anymore. But luckily the dust has settled. The gear I own nowadays was very well considered, and will stay with me forever, or at least a very long time... :)
  16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Very much guilty as well.

I don't know if this counts, but when Mars music when out of buisness they had some insane deals, so I just took what I could. Ended up walking out with a Modulus Genesis 5, a Spector czeck 5, a Heritage Les Paul (whatever they are called), Mesa 400+, Mesa Bass Buster, and a gk 700rb.

The only thing I have left is the 700rb. But I do remember that day as the day of excess.
  17. Amen to that brother. :crying:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought my last Sadowsky by going into the For Sale forum here at talk bass :help: . I had Just Sold my Sadowsky Tokyo and my Warwick Infinity to help finance my Sadowsky NYC 5 being bilt for me and i really missed not having a Sadowsky so o got this at a great price to help with the wait.
  19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    JUST LAST WEEK!!! I bought a bass that when I first looked at it, I thought there is no way. I ended up buying it for $50 more than another of the same basses and I still feel stupid. I love the bass though :eyebrow:
  20. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    High end stuff is all planned out and wife-endorsed. :rollno: Pawn-shop deals, close outs and seconds I am susceptible to. If its less than $200 or $300 I get the urge.