1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In Praise of Ric5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jloftin1, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    I have been lurking on this site and occasionally posting for a few years now. There are many people on TB that inspire me in my playing, practice ,or the mechanical aspects of bass. I was reading a thread a couple of days ago where Ric5 was taking alot of crap off some folks for his creations. Some say that the spacing is too tight, the pickups wont work, ect.. Just look at the guy's website and you can see that it works over and over again. Well, I have read all his threads and posts I could find and was inspired to try a 4-2-5 conversion myself.

I have wanted a 5 string precision for years. I think the Fender Vs are too wide for me. I've owned 4 Jazz V and played the new Squier PVs. I found an Ibanez TR-50 in my local shop for $100 and took a chance. I got a miss matched tuner for $5 and a 2.5 inch spaced bridge off ebay for $19. I made the nut. For about $150 I now have a 5 string P that plays great, doesn't fatigue my hand, and sounds pretty dang good.

Thanks for the inspiration and thinking outside the box.

image-8.
    image-9.
    image-10.
    image-11.

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'll join the praise. After seeing what he did to his basses, I converted my t40 to a 5 string, and i'm LOVING IT

IMG_2449.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Oh no!!! :eek:

Look what you have gone and done, Jeff! :D

:cool:

4. I love Ric5's creations. I think they are beautiful and mechanically sound.

They wouldn't work for me, for the obvious reasons stated in the OP (spacing, outside strings close to the fretboard edge, etc.). That's not a critique, it's just an observation. You guys who can get away with that, good on ya, I think it's badass and opens up all kinds of possibilities not available any other way.

5. What bridge is that!? That's perfect for my 4-5 P project!! :D

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    My outer strings are no closer to the edge than they were before. I just have 3 strings in between the outer strings instead of 3

Yes, the spacing is tight, but I'm not slapper, so I got used to it fast. I actually like it more than before, I feel it sped up my technique

7. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    As I always say... magnetically, it's a donut! :)

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  9. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    To be completely honest, this is a practice run for possibly doing my T-40 in the future. I also agree that my strings are only marginally closer to the edge than they were before.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    the shop I bought it from send me the wrong plate. I'm hoping to get the narrow one someday so it doesn't stick out as far.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Well ... I am overwelmed by your praise ...

Thanks

I feel I don't deserve it ...

12. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Converting a T-40 into a 5 has been one of my future planned projects ...

You beat me to it ... congrats ...

And that is a Kahler bridge ... it is fully adjustable in 3 directions ...

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    it will look much better when I get the narrow plate

14. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Ric5 is really Jeff Rath

jeff25b.

15. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    Those look awesome! Do you think it's possible to convert an Epiphone T-bird IV into a 5-er? They're kind of hard to find here, and a converted 4 would be easier since the 4-stringers are much easier to find used.

16. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    You definitely deserve it. Don't let the nay-Sayers get you down. You do great work and stand up for your ideas. Thanks for your descriptions. I bought the necessary parts, made the nut while waiting on the bridge, drillled 4 holes and had my 4-2-5 together in about an hour.

17. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    You're all crazy with your wacky 5 sting guitars and what not... ;)

I'm a fan of, if it's yours and you can make it work better for you, do it. Ric5 has done some pretty cool stuff as have many TB'ers regardless of violating the sound principles of TB bass law. I actually started writing some but deleted them.

Nice to see your projects turned out nice too.

18. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes you can convert an epi t-bird IV into a 5 string.

You need a new bridge, a new nut, and drill a new hole in the headstock for the 5th tuner.

But why stop there? make is a 5 string Fenderbird!

5s%20042.

Picture%20447.

19. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Jeff you do great work - everyone should go to his website and check out his gallery. There are some amazing Rics there!

And for everyone else that hacks up their beloved instruments (like me) - keep pushing it forward!!