1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Indenitfication

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BrandonA119, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Trying to figure out what kind of bass my great-grandfather had. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Three strings and OLD. That's a potential treasure there. The real identifiers are going to want a picture of the area where the neck joins the body, from behind and the side, as well as a shot of the whole front from straight on.

3. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
    Well, all I can see is that the bridge probably isn't original. Looks like its a four string bridge.
    Looks incredible though!!!

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A bass like that typically has a tiny label, deep inside, with the words "play me" written on it. If you're interested in picking up the DB, it's worth getting a luthier to evaluate the task of converting the bass to 4 strings, or at the very least, giving you a clean bill of health so you can start taking lessons and learning to play it.

5. Phil Howe

Phil Howe

Nov 29, 2011
    Look closely at the peghead... there are 4 shafts, even though you can't see the tuning machines proper. The bridge and nut are cut for four strings, so it's probably just missing a string, and strung up as a three string....

A situation not unheard of with old, unplayed basses...

Get a hands-on inspection from someone who can inspect it properly. It'll likely be very nice if it was reconditioned.

6. Yeah I forgot to mention it is missing a string....
    I'll get some more pictures.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Take full shots of the front, back, sides, and scroll front, back and side.

8. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    That bass is a four string bass that's just missing an E string. It would be good to post a straight head on shot of the front back and sides, so that you can see the C boutes. Looks like a very old bass which needs a lot of work.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You're right. I was fooled by seeing 3 strings, and missed the 4th tuning peg. For all we know it could be close to playable.

10. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Am i correct to say that the rib linings sniff of germanic origin?

11. Looks like it to me. But I'm no expert.

D'oh on the strings!

12. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    What's up with the extra screws in the pegbox?

- Steve

13. Alright I'm having my mom take/send these pix because the bass is located out of state..
    Hopefully this helps!
    photo4-1.
    photo2.
    photo1-1.
    photo4copy.
    photo2-1.

14. Hi.

Looks to be in pretty sad shape, but nothing that huge amounts of tlc wouldn't cure.

I'd be happy as a bumble-bee if I ran across something like that.

Thanks for posting the bigger pics.

Regards
    Sam

15. Quick and dirty scroll repair is my guess. It drives me crazy that the OP's great-grandfather (or somebody) PAID for that work, and the bizarre back seam "repair," and...

16. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    It looks like an early 20th century German bass to me with old, funky repairs to the pegbox and back seem. If all of those cracks in the top and sides were "repaired" in the same manner, the repair bill for this bass might negate the value. Nice flame on the back though.

- Steve

17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I'd be pretty excited if that bass was in my family. If it is coming your way, lets just say you inherited a very cool rusted out old vintage Volkswagon. It has a lot of potential, but you'll have to work for it. Go out and get yourself a copy of Chuck Traeger's book on setup and repair of the double bass and read up on what will be involved.

j.

18. The wood on the bass looks very nice from here, though the repairs are awful. I'd guess it's German, perhaps Mittenwald. I assume there's no label or stamp?

It's impossible to say from pictures, but this instrument may be worth restoring. Possibly at a profit, should you decide to sell it.

Where is the instrument located? Someone here might be able to point you toward an expert to look at it in person.

19. Its in Des Monies, Iowa. This belonged to my Great Grandfather, my great Aunt's and Uncle said I should have it since I play bass!

20. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Jim Reck (Reck Violin Shop) and Chris Threlkeld-Wiegand (Heartland Bass Shop) are in the Iowa City area.