1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interviewing bassist stories

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Arthritic_Tom, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones....

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Tom, write fast, we need the rest!
    Your prelude does not disappoint, promises kept, thank you.

2. Arthritic_Tom

Arthritic_Tom Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks very much. I won't let you down.

3. MartinG1957

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Mate, if you didn't write it, you wouldn't have let us down! This thread has been a great read and a privilege to have had experienced - but as I'm sure you know now, so many of us want to both hear the whole story, walk the journey and say thanks by buying your book - its your baby, but it's going to have a lot of unofficial aunts and uncles! :)

4. Arthritic_Tom

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It's Talkbass's book. Seriously. A month ago I had no plan whatsoever to do anything like this, and now I'm writing it for one of the biggest publishers in the U.S.

Weird, weird, weird.

5. MartinG1957

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Sometimes we talk ourselves out of things and we just need to talk to others to allow them to talk us into what we really need for ourselves.

6. Arthritic_Tom

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Quite true. If you understood how opposed I was to the idea of doing this, you'd be shocked that it's happening.

Not only that, you'd be shocked that I'm enjoying the hell out of writing it.

You know why I hadn't even considered doing this? Because here's what you get. This is the entire "rejection letter" I got from one agency. It's my own letter sent back to me, with the opinion of my writing written in blue ink.

Attached Files:

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Ooh ... That's harsh :( .

8. Arthritic_Tom

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That ain't harsh, mate.

This is harsh. My own query letter sent back to me with this sticker.

Attached Files:

9. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    That sticker is just so.. inhumane. In the sense that it dehumanizes both the submitter and the company; "Here's a sticker that says no thanks, minimum amount of effort required!"

10. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm anticipating this book more than any other. This thread has had me glued to TB since it started.

11. You know you're special when you get to 50 pages and just carry on to 51.

Congrats on the book deal. You deserve a big break. I hope this is it.

12. Tom, great thread. I started it yesterday and am to the point where you described your band in Japan, the rejected BP article. Your band sounds alot like one of mine except we gave only played a few gigs and don't fight much. Our motto is "no song is good enough to play the same way twice" And it seems our best takes are the ones where I've forgotten to turn on the recorder. Well I gotta get some breakfast. I look forward to finishing this thread later.

13. TBrett

TBrett

Nov 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Great, great, great!

It’s been absolutely brilliant to be a part of this. So inspirational on so many levels – and we all get a prize at the end in the form of your memoirs! The rough draft is really compelling, Tom (still chuckling at the bit about looking like a 40 year old lesbian spinster!). If I knew nothing about this thread and simply picked that up while browsing in a book shop, I would buy it, no question. And I will definitely be recommending it to all and sundry when it comes out.

This thread also inspired a new song. It’s not done yet, but I’m very pleased with it so far. I spent hours working out the pre-chorus last night and crudely recorded the basic chords on guitar, mixed in a quick vocal take over top, and sent it to our guitarist (my main songwriting partner in the band). I waited. And waited. No reply. He’d gone to bed, apparently. The nerve! But when I checked my email this morning, I was treated to this reply:

Okay, that is freakin AWESOME! Listened when I got up and was immediately inspired to grab my guitar....I never pick up the guitar this early. I've already come up with a really cool part based on your progression. I think the vocal hook is so strong that this should be the chorus.

As the band’s only lyricist, I become the bottle-neck for new material when I get too busy to write. The guys are patient with me, as I’m also the main business person for the band, but I can tell it’s frustrating for them sometimes. I’m way, way behind in my writing, with a number of great song ideas awaiting my attention. I needed something to get me back into the right head space. This thread was it. I’ll send it to you once it’s done and we’ve got a decent recording of it. Just as you think of your memoirs as belonging to TB, I will always think of this song as belonging to you.

Thank you once again, Tom!

14. Arthritic_Tom

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You're quite welcome.

I've finished the first anthology in the memoir, and all the other material is at hand, so I expect to finish this in record time.

I'll keep you posted, and I hope your song makes you giant buckets of cash.

15. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    You're as good a writer as your brother Pat is a singer-songwriter. And that's very, very good.

16. Arthritic_Tom

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you.

Pat's best performance, I think:

PAT WICTOR - "Mister Blues" - YouTube

17. Hmmmmm...any one else sense a TB Song-writing competition coming on for the theme music to "Ghosts and Ballyhoo"?

18. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I don't know why, but I thought this funny.

Tom, congrats on everything- been reading through this thread off and on since the start and I find it hard to believe that it's been almost a month since it's first post. Time flies.

Congrats again and I'm looking forward to the book.

19. I enjoyed your brothers style. Thanks for posting that.

Thank you for sharing the opening of your book. I signed up on the google group and I can't wait to read the book in its entirety.

I am glad to have read through the thread with you as you turned a horrible story into a new beginning. I appreciate the journey and wish you all the best Tom.

When you are on your national book signing tour, look me up in Houston TX :D

20. WOW I'm finally done. What an interesting thread. And now the Op has left us to go write his book. I'm always late. Like the last person to join a pyramid scheme so I can,t even get my $5 back. Lol. Tom if you tune back in I just gotta say you may have stumbled upon one of the greatest PR tricks ever. Wet your target audiences lips in chat room/bulletin board setting and capture an audience before even writing the book. Then show your publisher that a bunch of potential readers are just begging for it. Now if only I wasn't so ADD I might trythis myself. Oh yea I also suck at writing according to my HS English teacher. Good luck with the book I will be joining the Google group for updates. For now I have ton of you tubes to watch that you have referenced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.