1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Iron Ether Xerograph vs. Moog MF-101 LPF

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pmaraziti, May 4, 2010.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Anybody compared the two?

Cost seems to be similar if you take some fo the options of the Xeropraph in. What are the advantages of each?

2. I'ma pull relevant quotes from the main thread regarding the Xerograph.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't think anyone has a non-proto Xerograph yet. Mr. Pickles appeared to be the first to have one on order, and hasn't posted that he's received it yet. He did own a Moog LPF, so he can probably give a pretty accurate comparison when it arrives.

4. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    OK, from my understanding, they're pretty similar except, but here are the pros of each

Moog:
    -More controls

Xerograph:
    -Smaller
    -Cheaper
    -Money goes to small builder, instead of large corporation
    -Made by awesome TBer

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Like everyone else, I haven't tried the Xerograph and have only heard clips which makes a comparison difficult.

That said, I think the comparison works out like this:

Moog LPF

Pros:
    THE standard for synth like/electronica sweeps
    Expression control of nearly any parameter
    Can function as an envelope filter as well as sweepable LPF
    fast/smooth switch
    Labeled cutoff knob (not perfectly accurate but close)
    Accepts CV input for use with advanced controllers
    Works with other Moogerfoogers for more flexibility
    Drive knob to tailor to your instrument

Cons:
    Large enclosure
    Very noisy - both from bad bypass and being susceptible to noise
    Limited as a filter (no down sweep, only LP)
    Relatively expensive

Iron Ether Xerograph

Pros
    Small
    True Bypass
    Simpler to use
    Less Expensive
    Lots of modifications available*

Cons
    Doesn't function as an envelope filter
    Isn't as versatile or tweakable
    New and therefore a bit unknown compared to the Moog

I think the clips of the Xerograph sound fantastic. And based on my uses of the Moog LPF (static LPF for dub sounds, sweeping the cutoff with an expression pedal for synth sounds) I'd MUCH rather go with Conical Johnson's design. It sounds different, but equally good compared to the Moog for synthy stuff, and even better as a Low Pass "wah" IMO.

*The Xerograph was obviously designed to be a simple LPF but it can be modded to have an envelope filter in addition to being swept with an expression pedal, a mix knob can be added, a downward sweep (I believe) a switch to control the attack/decay and more. Iron Ether is going to be very big on customization which I think is an awesome concept.

Not to mention, the Xerograph will have a bigger counterpart that has a lot of these mods already built in plus a tap tempo LFO and different waveshapes (sine, square, random) that can modulate the cutoff.

I can't recommend something I haven't tried, but I can tell you that I'm already ordering a filter from Iron Ether and I fully expect it to make me forget about the Moog altogether.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Xerograph can do envelope triggering as an optional extra. I'm tempted to get one, I would really like to hear each being used as a wah going INTO an overdrive or fuzz, as in Mark Olson's recent Freaker wah clips.

7. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Thanks gentlemen... it would be nice to see Mr Pickles comments when he gets his!

8. Haven't tried it yet, but from what I've gathered and listened I think the Iron Ether Xerograph is a better deal. Space wise and simply because it gets the job done.

When I have money to buy a LPF, I will probably buy that one.

9. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I last heard from that Conical was adding a volume knob as an afterthought on my Xero (he did ask first, of course). This may become standard as opposed to an option. I had assumed there were a few in stock, but this isn't the case as far as I can tell. Mine will be #2 and it is currently being built. I'll post pics/clips when it gets here, I'm even more excited about reclaiming lost pedalboard space from when the LPF was on board:D

edit - FWIW, I don't want to be that guy who pesters the builder, so I haven't asked for a status on the build. My last conversation with Taylor was on 5/2 and I'm in no rush here. Maybe he'll chime in when he can pick his head up from soldering.

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Yep, they were ready to go out when I started thinking that the volume knob might be a necessity. I never felt the need for it, but I like to design things that work across all different setups, and without any weird hangups. After all, the whole point of this pedal was to make a foot-sweepable lowpass filter that didn't have the powering, bypass, and level issues of the Moog, so why introduce a a potential downfall in this design? As Bongo writes very well on his blog, many pedals seem to have been designed in a vacuum without regard for all the different situations in which they might be used, and this is not the path I take.

Everything was so perfectly planned out with fitting this circuit in such a small box, that adding the volume at the last minute was no easy feat.

All that said... all current non-custom orders (that includes yours Mr. Pickles) will be sent off in the next day or 2.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    So, will it be possible to get the envelope option as well as a volume control in the same small box?

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Yes, in fact right now I'm doing one with envelope, volume, and clean blend in the standard box (smaller knobs of course).

13. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    this is becoming so tempting....

14. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Don't fight it; just give in:D

15. funkucan'ttouch

funkucan'ttouch Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2007
    west virginia
    I did! Can't wait. Went with most the options.. except the up/down option.. I don't really need that. WOO HOO:hyper::hyper::hyper:

16. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Should be here on Thurs.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I am excited to see the fruits of this labor!

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Suuuuuuuuuuubscribed. Really looking forward to this comparison since I will most likely be purchasing a LPF within the next few months.

19. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    I will defintiely buy one of the "bigger counterpart" larger models that will include a tap tempo LFO with wave selections. That would elminitate my bulky Chopper Tremolo and MF-101.

20. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    looking forward to later models / reviews / having extra money to buy one