1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is buying a Rickenbacker even possible??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felken, Jul 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I finally have a bit of loose change after years of work, and I'm telling myself "you know what? Maybe I could afford myself a little treat in the next few months"

Rickenbackers are so nice man, I can't describe it. That look, that tone, it's so beautiful!

So I go online casually scoping for a few Rickenbackers. I knew they were expensive but... That's an understatement. THEY COST AN ARM AND A LEG... AND YOUR HOUSE PLUS A FEW YEARS OF FREE LABOUR.

These things are like 4000$ CAD No way I could pay for that.

Is buying a Ric even possible? I mean, where do I buy them? How did you get yours? Is it possible getting one for under 1500$ CAD? I can't just wait until I'm 45 to buy one.

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    It’s clearly possible.
    I’m in the US, so I’m guessing not much help for your CAD situation. Best of luck.

3. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    They're $2100 at L&M. They're not common, but they pop up every now and then. There's a jetglo 4003S at the Thunder Bay store right now - ask your local store to transfer it. And the odds of finding one for <$1500CAD are slim to none.

4. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    2100 isn't bad. Is there some sort of financing avaiable? For the under 1500$, I was thinking the used market.

5. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I’d strongly suggest playing one before buying it. I wouldn’t even consider buying a Ric, sight-unseen in the US, much less buying one abroad.

2 reasons:
    1. quality control has been... questionable and inconsistent.
    2. If you’re not familiar with the feel and the build, they might not be what you were expecting.

6. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    You can finance or do layaway, for sure. Make sure to try it out before you buy. They're amazing instruments, but feel and play very differently than a Fender.

Used, they sell for maybe $100 less than new if there are a few. If there aren't, they sell for more than new - Rics have an insane resale value.

GregC, Lance Bunyon and Felken like this.
  7. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Don’t finance gear. Particularly not a high priced luxury item at the top of your budget, assuming you already have basses to play. It’s just a road to being in debt and paying much more than you want to in interest.

8. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    4000 can is about 3000 us. Not certain where you are looking, most Rics I see are circa 1600 - 2000 us new.

Aqualung60 and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Good point. I've briefly played one, but that was years ago. Completely forgot how they feel.

Mvilmany likes this.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The 2nd hand market more than covers the demand.

11. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    When they started to incorporate CNC into their process, they normalized the shape of the neck. It's VERY comfortable, but because the instruments are still mostly hand-made, there's still a fair bit of variation across individual examples.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Last summer the Peterborough L&M got 5 new 4003S basses in (midnight blue, mapleglo, jetglo, fireglo, matte black) and a used SW. This was the most in any store in Canada. I got a good chance to compare them, and while the basic formula was the same on each, the chamfers and filets were all different, as were the setups. The SW played the best and weighed 7.9lbs, so I left with it :)

mikewalker and bobyoung53 like this.
  13. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I bought mine on the TB classifieds. :thumbsup:

Keyser Soze, diegom, design and 4 others like this.
  14. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Same. Bought & sold for around $1500 US dollars— seems to be the average going rate around these parts, though I’ve seen some less than perfect specimens go for around $1200 and the more limited editions go for exponentially more.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you’re looking to buy something and have the money at the ready, all hope is not lost!

Radguitars likes this.
  15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    A new 4003 is $2499.00 and a new 4003S is $2199.00 at Long & McQuade. You would have to order one.

TD

tradernick likes this.
  16. joshmmorrison

joshmmorrison Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Reverb that thing yo

17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Isn't there a guy on the talkbass classifieds selling a used one in Canada? You should check here first.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah go find one and play it. I think they're gorgeous and sound fantastic.

They feel HORRIBLE in my hands. I can't even begin to play one. Too skinny. Too narrow. Nowhere comfy to put my thumb. They even feel all wonky against my body. I like literally nothing about playing one.

I'm jealous of those who get along with them because the cool factor is there for sure.

I would rather look at a Ric. I would rather PLAY a 2X4 with a runner band on it than play a Ric.

That's just MY hands and playing style. I also owned a beautifull Mile Lull 5 string with a Sadowsky preamp in it. Every nass player around me said it was the finest instrument they ever held. But I couldn't get along with it AT ALL. So don't take my workd for it. Play one for yourself.

19. I know a guy who knows a guy. His wife’s brother-in-law is a Rickenbacker broker. For a fee, he’ll find you one. It’s not for sale, but he’ll find it for you. :)

mikewalker likes this.