1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it a sin to use effects on upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dirty D, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Dirty D

Dirty D

Nov 11, 2007
    Kansas City
    Just wondering. I couldn't find a topic on this. I have been playing for a little while and just started messing around with: Delay, Overdrive, and Reverb and am kinda digging the sound. Anyone else, or am I alone and ridiculous?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    There are no sins in music, only **** that people aren't yet ready for ;)

3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    You are alone, and ridiculous.

4. burnunit

burnunit obsolete

Nov 17, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't see anything wrong with it. As soon as you have a pickup involved, you're into effects right there, anyway. So go ahead, phase it, flange it, delay it, harmonize it, send it around the room and back and have a ball.

5. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    if it sounds good---it is good

6. burnunit

burnunit obsolete

Nov 17, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
  7. Hell No......
    One of the reasons I started playing bass (Electric in my case) was seeing my high school music teacher rip out "For whom the bell tolls" with fuzz and wah on his upright half way through a school recital.

8. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    christian mcbride (live at tonic) and chris wood (mmw) do it. imo, as soon as you amplify it, it's electric. enjoy your effects!

9. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Check out the Esbjorn Svensson Trio. That whole band used effects to great...um...effect...

10. Same as always: when you play for art you can do whatever you want. When you play for money you have to do whatever you're paid to do. Go ahead and effect up your bass--make it your own thing. But don't be surprised if the jazz casual calls dry up some.

JAM

11. Dirty D

Dirty D

Nov 11, 2007
    Kansas City
    Its something i've been having a lot of fun with so I'm happy to see mostly positive feedback. I'm diggin that Melvin Jackson and have always been a fan of Esbjorn svensson so perhaps it was my subconscious ear putting these crazy thoughts in my head from listening to him :D

12. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ask Mark Dresser.

13. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I've had a lot of fun with effects. Ran my bass through an octave pedal, delay, the most disgusting distortion you've ever heard, and a wah pedal. A drummer and I performed some improvised free/noise music as a backing track to an abstract painting performance art piece.

My bass didn't even sound like my bass. I was using a fishman bp-100 pickup which picks up stuff like tapping on the body and bridge really well so I was doing a lot of percussion stuff too.

14. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I wish I had a funky skull...

15. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Even though I'm a 67 year old dinosour of the bass I wouldn't have a problem so long as the effect is used appropriately and in context with the piece. I personally wouldn't want to venture on the wilder shores of effects but could see a chorus pedal enhancing a slow ballad solo to great, er, effect.

16. If it sounds good it is good. When you think about it, amplifying your upright is an effect and I'm sure many view that as a sin as well.

17. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
  18. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Do an 'Advanced Search' in this forum for "effects" in titles of threads. I saw half a dozen or so threads.

19. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I recently got a boss me-6b and when the synth/flang is turned all the way up my BG makes some realllly crazy almost bubbling noises. I"m curious to see what would happen if I bowed my upright through it so I had a constant signal instead of a decaying one.. I think it could be really cool!

And bass is there for you to have fun AND for people to enjoy listening to it. If you can get one of those accomplished go for it.. if you manage both you're in business.