1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it dangerous to leave gear in trunk?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by scotter140, Mar 28, 2015.

1. scotter140

scotter140

Mar 23, 2015
    It's 37 and snowing. Is my amp and guitar safe in my trunk while I'm at work?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If you give them time to warm up slowly, no problem. If you expect to take them into a warm room and immediately start playing, not a great idea - especially if the air is humidified - condensation bad for circuits. All sorts of discussion in other threads about letting instruments warm up slowly. I always try to let them, but don't always manage it (my Sire M3 was still a bit cold when I opened it, but I couldn't wait!)

(Assuming your trunk is weatherproof, too. If not, you can get water damage even when snowing, if the car gets enough sun to melt it. )

3. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Three things you should not leave in your vehicle...
    children, pets & instruments.
    But seriously, I usually take my bass out of my truck.
    The amp & cabs remain until I can return them to my storage facility.
    :cool:

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    In winter, fine. In summer, not fine.

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    If it is a guitar, no. But if it was a bass I would have said run and take her out of her misery cause basses do not deserve this type of treatment...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Depends on how high the crime rate is in your area. ;) Otherwise just let it acclimate before rocking out and you should be fine.

7. scotter140

scotter140

Mar 23, 2015
    Thanks! I have practice right after work then a gig 4 hours after that so I'll just bring them inside at practice, use the other bass and amp that's there for the first couple hours, then I'll plug my stuff in to make sure it's fine. Though it's not really THAT warm at the practice space...

8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    A 37* snow holds a lot more moisture. I'd take my instrument inside. Here in Wisconsin it snows at 5* but there's barely any moisture in it at all, more like powder.

9. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    37°. Ugh. I'd not leave an instrument out there, but that's just me. When will this winter end?

10. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I never leave instruments in the vehicle if I can move them indoors. Same for cabs if there's high humidity.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I never leave an instrument in a place where I wouldn't be comfortable myself.

12. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    when its 37 and snowing it is safe-
    thieves only come out at temperatures above 40.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Opposite problems for me here, almost never that cold but we regularly get summer temps over 115.

I tend to never leave gear anywhere I won't be, and never in a vehicle.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my 2011 g&l sb-2 has faired very well in insane climate and humidity shifts, the old school basses not so well

15. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    As Jaco has said (IIRC) "Don't leave your Bass anywhere you would not sleep"

16. It will be fine as long as you let it slowly move up to room temperature.
    I leave my 6x10 in the garage year round, I just make sure to put the cab up on 2x4's so it gets air flow underneath. Get to the gig and let it sit for an hour or so and no problems so far. It's seen temps in the-20C (-4F) and +40C and (104F) for many seasons, no problems.
    I brought my Roscoe from my basement to an outdoor gig in July. Cold basement to hot humid parking lot. I let it sit for a good hour as we were getting everything else set up and when I opened the case, there were puddles of water sitting on the body. Needless to say, I freaked, grabbed a towel and dried it off. Let is sit in the case open for a bit, plugged it in and all was well.
    Op... you should be fine.
    Fishheadjoe

17. I have a P U truck with a cap on the back of it. I don't leave my guitars or tube amps in it. I'm getting old and lazy so my 8 10 and back up S.S amp have been out there for over 4 years now with no bad results so far. Winters here get down to 0 and summers can tickle 100 with pretty high humidity on a regular basis. I probably shouldn't leave them out there but like I said , I'm old and lazy.