Is My Cat Fat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Aug 11, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cat appear to be getting larger. Now, he's always been a very big cat, and muscular, but he is 6 1/2 now and is looking a little chubbier. When he walks, you can feel a small pooge if you grab his belly.

He eats maintenance food, but we give him wet food occasionally too as a treat. We don't ration the maintenance food - he comes and goes as he pleases. Someone was telling us to ration that even and cut out wet food all together. Can't don't usually over eat, do they? He is an indoor cat, and doesn't run around much.

What do you guys think? Does he need a diet? Or is it no big deal?

IMG_20130811_102035_921_zps3fcfb172.gif

2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Ideally you want them to be in the 12lb. range give or take. You may run the risk of feline diabetes if he gets really big. I would consult your vet.

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I feed my cat the prescribed amount written on the bag for his weight, about 5#, and he stays that weight so it must be working fine. The vet congratulated me as nearly all the cats she sees are overweight, she told me mine was right where he's supposed to be, not skinny, not fat.

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I looked at the bag and 15 pounds is about 2/3 of a cup per day. He is about 16.5 to 17 pounds. I'm going to give him 2/3 per day.

I'm going to have one upset cat for a while.

5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    He doesn't look fat to me

6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Does he get winded walking up and down stairs?

7. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    [quote="tastybasslines, post: 14713601

What do you guys think? Does he need a diet?

IMG_20130811_102035_921_zps3fcfb172.gif [/QUOTE]

Can he out run this.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1376253525.036958.jpg

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I suspect that he will be deliciously well-marbled.

Assuming you're not concerned about him not tasting too gamey, consider playing with him. Cats are always looking for exercise outlets.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  10. naw...he looks great...BUT...feed him only once per day.....put out about 1 cup of dry (maintenance) cat food in the morning and then don't feed him for the rest of the day....

feed him one can of something about once or twice a week for a treat

he'll be fine....looks like a great fella

davesignatureII-1.png

ps-edit....i just read the rest of your post.....2/3 cup then, but stick to it and you should be fine

11. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Spray paint him black. It's slimming.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Dave.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    He look a little on the chubby side, but Id hesitate to call him fat.

I think the diet plan you laid out might help him lean up a bit.

14. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It sounds like you want honest answers, so I'll go ahead and say yeah, a bit chunky. Not morbidly so, but could stand to lose a few pounds.

15. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    He's overweight, people here who say he isn't also have fat cats. You're the one in control, feed him less. No more wet food!

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The people have spoken. I told my cat, whose name is Cujo, the bad news.

"I'm on a diet!?? What???"

IMG_20130812_114222_472_zps395347e8.gif

"GRRRR - no more cuddles for you"

IMG_20130812_114216_592_zps7930a3f4.gif

17. It is not fun if your cat develops diabetes.

My cat, Cindy, was very overweight and developed diabetes. Not only that, but I had neglected to bring my cats to the vet for a very long time, so she had it for long time before being diagnosed. When I brought her in, she was having trouble walking normally and climbing stairs.

It was heart breaking and quite expensive. I had to buy and give her insulin twice a day, buy a pet blood glucose reader and test her whenever the vet requested. Bring her in every few weeks for regular testing and checkups. The cat was actually very tolerant of me with the injections. (Truth be told, I was more afraid of giving the needles than she was receiving them. lol However, she did not like the blood glucose testing machine.)

She pulled through ok. If cats have 9 lives, she used 8 of them to conquer diabetes over a period of 6 months. She no longer needs insulin. (The vet told me there are times when a cat's system needs a little kickstart to begin producing insulin naturally again. Not always, but sometimes it works out this way.)

She can only eat a special DM (Diabetic Management) canned food, which is also expensive (about $50 for a case of 24.) I was advised that she can never eat dry food again. She also has appointments to receive a vitamin B12 injection once a month.

I also have another cat, Moo (her brother) who is becoming overweight. He does not like the canned food, so I've chosen to gradually reduce the amount of dry food he eats. I don't want him in the same position. Moo will not be as tolerant with needles as Cindy. And he can be quite aggressive if provoked (or in this case, poked.)

18. Post #17 says it all.

Most vets will say your cat is overweight. Many people on here have fat cats and could be fat themselves but don't consider themselves to be because they're comparing themselves to others, or to their cat.

Your cat is overweight. I've had several overweight cats (including the one I'm down to now), some heavier than yours. Trust me. Your cat is fat.

Handsome though.

19. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    You will be glad you did this. We keep Charlie right around 55 #. Hopefully this will keep him from hip problems in the future. Good luck, we need updates.

20. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for taking the time to write that.

I'm glad to be doing something about it. I certainly don't want any of that to happen to him.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021