Is there an effect pedal that defines "your" sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Yes indeedy do!

73 vote(s)
    44.5%
  2. No I mainly use effects as seasoning in my overall tone

91 vote(s)
    55.5%
  1. Hi All,
    Some of you know that I generally shy away from effects. Usually just an odd chorus or flange and maybe just a hint of grit. I've always enjoyed goofing around with envelope filters but never managed to actually use them effectively (pun intended ;)).
    With all of the different companies and bajilliions of pedals out there. Is there a particular pedal that you must have to achieve what you consider your "signature" sound? Or is it just seasoning in your overall tone?
    Just curious. Thank you in advance!
    Best wishes to all,
    Brent

JCooper, medievalrhyme and Spidey2112 like this.
  2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    For me, that’s the best thing about effects. I don’t want one signature sound. I love many varieties in sound, effects facilitate variety.

3. Tuner.

Zorzevic, Vinny_G, Bob E and 32 others like this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    90+% o0f the time, all I have going is a bit of EQ.

BrentSimons and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Only time will tell...

YYZ-large.jpg

... but, until then... I really like this...

images(19).jpg

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Since shredding the preamp from the board, my sound is pretty much defined by picking a Jazz Bass (sometimes fingerplaying) and amplifying it through Traynor gear, most of the effects being looped and all are sporadically used.

The one effect that is always on is the VT Bass for a bit of added grit, so if there's one pedal interacting with the way I play, that's the one.

Kro and BrentSimons like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have a small very small pedal board (5 pedals) and i rarely bother taking it to a gig...i use one or two efx in a few sections of a few tunes --- when i take it. so i'm in the "seasoning" group even though i often play things 'plain'.

no "signature tone" here.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    It depends. For me as a player, there's no one pedal that defines my sound.

In one of my bands however, the sound I've crafted using my pedal board is integral to the overall experience (mainly because I'm making a guitar player obsolete with it).

So, a resounding maybe. Definitely not one pedal, but if you want to go so far, a combination of some.

There will, however, be some pedals you will always find on my board. But that's a different question altogether.

JCooper and BrentSimons like this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    szfnqpcteqllgapd90ik.jpg

QRanc, bassingeorge, rjovin and 6 others like this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    My rig is a Zoom B-2 into a power amp, so the Zoom is my entire front end. It’s set-and-forget (other than small adjustments on a few EQ bands and volume settings). It provides a tuner, light compression, an almost-clean Marshall Superbass emulation, noise reduction and 6-band graphic EQ.

Yep, I depend on it to provide all the gain structure/tone shaping. Probably not what Zoom had in mind but it meets my needs quite well.

Because it stays set one way, it lives on top of my power amp...so technically it’s no longer a pedal...I think.

11. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    Overdrive and fuzz
    I love my sunn beta bass preamp clone.
    Screenshot_20190419_193653.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  12. My sound is more a result of my hands, bass and setup - the meat. Effects are the spice and fire, colors, pan and sauce or gravy.

Low Crow, BrentSimons and Kro like this.
  13. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Yup. The Rusty Box. It's basically my only pedal and the only tone shaper on my board. For recording it goes direct into my interface and when playing through an amp it's going right into the power amp. I've always done preamp pedal into a power amp and have accumulated a few preamps (modded VT Bass and B7KU), but nothing comes close to the greatness of the RB.

14. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Still married/shackled to my Sansamp PBDDI...it’s the most natural sounding tube emulation circuit this side of a small fortune and bullet proof. I’d like to try other options, but can’t really justify.

15. Midnight Amplification Holy Mountain...

BrentSimons and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  16. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    for the last year, i can't get enough of my darkglass vintage. blend @ 12 o'clock / era @ full "90's" / level @ 12 o'clock / drive @ 12 o'clock (or to taste). on 90% of the time. :bassist:

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Is “mute” technically an effect?

If yes then yep....that defines my sound

BrentSimons likes this.
  18. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Broughton Audio stuff 0406192104_HDR.jpg

19. BeyondFiredUp

BeyondFiredUp

Jan 29, 2005
    Texas
    Nice! Brings back great tone memories...Where is this available, if at all?!!

BrentSimons likes this.
  20. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I suppose what I do would technically fall into the "seasoning" category, but I have two pedals that really define my overall sounds in my own writing (though at the church where I play I almost always go clean). For "clean" sounds, I lean really heavily on a Boss CE-5 for some added ambiance and texture. For when things get heavier, I use a Darkglass Alpha-Omicron distortion pedal. I also tend to use my Crybaby Bass Wah after the distortion when I want things to get really hairy, but even though I use it a good bit I'd say it's definitely "seasoning." That being said, my amp defines my sound even more than those two pedals do. The punchy sound I'm able to get from my Peavey 400 bass head is the absolute core of my sound, and the effects are another (important) layer on top of it.

BrentSimons and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021