is there anybody out there?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marinda, May 9, 2017.

1. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    Just curious if there are more of u like me...I am RIGHT handed, i play right.h bass with strings reversed, or upside-down how ever you wanna say it...I do this cause the tabs to me are backwards, a guy finally showed me if i stand it up, then showed me tabs. I understand now, my bf says they read as if your looking down like on ur bass. All of it still is wrong!! Lol i try to play and naturally when i see tabs on e string (im trying to hit g, same for g, i try to hit top e) so i put the strings on backwards! Now i play awesome!! It just feels right, plus in my head the low e should be bottom...and high g top!! right?!?! anyways thats how i play, also im small so its very hard to reach the 2 main notes e & a on the 1-4 freds my first bass was short scale which i love! I just got a new ibanez and my bf begged me to TRY to play normal!! ( gave it a sporting chance) immediately i noticed the neck was longer, to hit e or a on 123 i had to literally line my arm wrist to elbow with the neck and i had about 5 sec till my wrist cramped up and i was like yep im stringing em back to how i had it!! when i was done i was like ahhhhh i tried normal for about a week after playing backwards for 2 years! btw thats what i call it i tell ppl i play backwards bass... why dont ppl ever say that its catchy!! lol originally i had usedthis as a reply but I joined the site for this topic so after going on and on i might as well copy paste lol

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    That may be the first time I've heard of that! I play backwards in a different way...totally left-handed, so you could play my basses just fine!!

Keep on keepin' on, Marinda!

Rattman, Helix and Marinda like this.
  3. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

Exactly!! if i went and got a lefty, id play without having to doany work!!

Helix and tallboybass like this.
  4. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    Thanks! I just recently started to look into my odd style, i was so stoked just to find others, but most r leftys that were forced to play it backward or not at all!! but i did read somewhere on wikipedia that a guy did it cause he felt it was invented backwards lol kinda like i do, that and the whole my wrist /fingers dont bend like that!

tallboybass likes this.
  5. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Check out MonoNeon. A quick YouTube search will get you there. He's a phenomenal bassist.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Hmmm....

Someone just learning to play bass and using tabs was able to reverse the strings on her bass without any issues and nobody ever telling her that was wrong until her boyfriend noticed?

Not buying it.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I tried playing a lefty right handed and can't deal with the "upside downness", so I replaced the nut and restrung it righty.

Marinda likes this.
  8. Your reasoning defies logic according to Mr. Spock. But if it works for you, who am I to argue?

Groove strong and prosper! ;):thumbsup:

EDIT: Is this what's commonly known as basstabdyslexia? :D

Marinda and VerryBerry like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth

10. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wayman Tisdale is left handed and learned to play on a right handed bass, so he plays left handed basses strung upside down.
    Wayman%20Tisdale%20OC%20Pavilion%2005%20Amy%20Rogin.jpg

11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Jimmy Haslip, one of the most the most famous "upside down-lefty" players.......
    lightbox_jimmyhaslip_2.jpg

12. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    The guy who played on albums with the Doors -- he started playing on an upside down strung bass, then decided to switch and go conventional. that must have sucked to be good at your instrument and then start over more or less from square one, but if he did it, so could you, at some point.

EDIT: I'm quite sure I had read about this in an interview -- thought this was Jerry Scheff. I can't find this info now, so I might be wrong . . . ?

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm thinking this is a way around the whole copyright thing... restring your guitar, play a tabbed song, note-for-note, and no one, except Marinda's BF will know...

... mind-blowing!

Marinda and Killed_by_Death like this.
  14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Lots of guitar players do the upside-down lefty thing...Eric Gales, Albert King...if playing bass upside-down and righty feels right to you, who's to say it's bad? Do it, get good at it and crank out some music with it and tell your boyfriend to stick it when he comes around with his hand out. It's not like he was a any big encouragement here. Tell him "I got your upside down right hand right here," etc.

Marinda likes this.
  15. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    hey i never said i was a pro, i can play tho... he came home from work and seen me doing it and was like ***?!?!? i learned cemetery gates, not as fast but i can play it lol and yes GUITAR TABS PRO i use it to get my keys right and work from there! also i like to play with the instrumentals of the song! you dont have to buy it! but its true...i love playing, just need to learn speed

LowActionHero likes this.
  16. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

no no hes awesome he was just giving me a fair warning that there would be some challenges along the way!! he is a bad ass guitar player, and he is shocked that i can play that way! he is very encouraging and soon i will be able to keep up with him!! he plays lotta megadeath lamb of god and well everything you name he could play...he has videos on you tube, i dont think im ready to go live just yet lol

17. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    and how is playing in my home copyright?? and maybe thats the way i like it! im not here to prove to anyone what i do, just wondering if there are others that do this, most r left handed and i never thought about that!! just excited that its been done and if i find problems ill have ppl out there to get advice from

18. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    ***=whatthe$%^&

19. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

i tried i really did but its hard cause my hands are small and having the reg bass neck vs short scale i cant reach the e string on 123 frets very good unless i almost stand it up...idk im 32 but size of a 14yo lol relearning the songs wasnt so bad few songs i remembered from when i very first started it just feels wrong so wrong.. how would u feel if u were givin a lefty on a deserted island...hmmm??

20. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    i think i seen him on youtube.com! that is way too many strings for me!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021