is there anybody out there?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marinda, May 9, 2017.

1. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    i think ive seen him, does he do the slap bass? now that is impressive!! i seen a younger kid doing it ill post the link!

2. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

3. Some years ago a friend of mine, left handed, really liked a bass I was selling, and decided to learn bass "upside down". He is pretty good now and has been in a couple bands playing regularly. I say if it works for you and it feels good go with it, Rock on girl !!!!!

Marinda likes this.
  4. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    As I would for any of my students, right or left-handed, I would recommend trying to make a "standard strung" instrument work. Making tabs easier to read is not a good enough excuse to flip in my book. You could learn to read a tab "normally" in a couple weeks/months, I don't believe it's worth a lifetime of difficulty buying/selling/sharing instruments to shave off a few weeks of learning.

You're not going to find instruments set up like that in a store (it's hard enough for lefties), it will be harder to visually communicate with other musicians (I have absolutely played songs on the fly by listening and looking at a guitar players hands), and if you ever wanted to transition to another string instrument, that will be a lot more difficult too. I even recommend lefties at least try righties for a while for the same reasons, in some cases it's obviously not gonna happen, but several students through the years have started on right-handed instruments and never looked back.

These are recommendations, not commandments, I'll teach whatever instrument somebody shows up with :)
    Kudos to you for being with the flip the strings around to begin with. As you can see, several famous players have done just fine "upside down," but in a lot of cases, those players didn't know any better. Now you know, and you're still in a very developmental phase of your career, so what you do with that information is your choice.

Jim Carr, quickfix, web824 and 4 others like this.
  5. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

thanks!!

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You'll see lots of lefties that play that way, pretty sure you're the first righty that I've heard of to do that.

I say 'play it the way you feel it!'

Marinda likes this.
  7. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    thanks, i appreciate the advice, my bf feels exactly the way you feel!! i also have a hard time with the reach on notes played most often...and if i were going any farther than my own living room, i would prob take the more difficult route, and learn the conventional way!! as for reselling, i dont think i will my bf and i collect them and if i were in a jam and had to, ill have to find a left handed kid that is desprate for a starter bass. but they both are sentamental to me!!

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Whatever floats your boat.

You just keep it up. You're doing fine.

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    You say that your first bass was a short scale, did you play that with the strings in the usual positions or reversed?

I ask because it could just be a scale related issue.

There are many that say that there is no need for a short scale bass, that you should just learn on the regular scale because "insert name here" has smaller hands than you and does it no problem. Personally I play short scale basses because when I play regular scale my left wrist hurts after a short while. It is maybe a tecnique problem, or related to the times I have broken that wrist, but I don't see why I should need to experience pain when I don't have too.

The same applies to your way of stringing. There is no "correct" way, just the "usual" way, and while I agree with people like @Nickweissmusic who point out the difficulties you may experience (I have that issue with a different music related problem) I completely understand you and feel that you should do what suits you.

10. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I played a flipped over lefty for about a month, just so I'd be able to play lefties if I ever had to.

I haven't had to.

Nickweissmusic likes this.
  11. Welcome to TB Marinda.
    Probably one of the most interesting and well responded post for a new TB'er than I've seen since I've been here.
    I thinks it's pretty cool what you're doing.

I have a little trouble with the E string on some fingering due to arthritis.
    Maybe the next time I restring, I'll flip 'em over just for kicks.
    I don't play very well, just at home.
    Not much to lose in starting over.

Pro golfer, Phil Michelson is right handed but golfs left handed.
    That's because when he was learning he was face to face with whoever was teaching him and he was mirroring the other swing.
    That's kind of like what you did with the tabs.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Learn the proper way to play. Don't try and reinvent the wheel. If you want to be a real musician stay away from tabs and learn music theory.

web824 likes this.
  13. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    This guy needs to learn to play properly. I don't know what he thinks he's doing with that upside down bass. He has ZERO chops, ZERO groove, and definitely doesn't know any theory at all. ;)

Helix likes this.
  14. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    I like your attitude, Marinda. To what's been said, I'd add that you should really try to learn things on your own by ear, without relying on tab or even YouTube videos. For any song you want to learn, listen to it, concentrating on the bass line, until you know it pretty well in your head, then sit down with a recording in whatever format works for you, that allows you stop & start it easily, and repeat selected phrases. If using a PC, the program Audacity is good for that and is free (you can select sections that it will repeat, you can alter the pitch and/or the tempo, etc). Start with simpler songs, and get to where you can pick out the notes on your own. It may take months, it may take years, but eventually you'll reach the point that if you can sing a bass line in your head, you'll be able to play it almost instantly. That skill is invaluable for improvisation, too, where if you know where the chord progression is headed, you can craft bass lines on the fly, limited only by your imagination and skill level - very satisfying!

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's wild. I've seen lefties play with the bass strung "upside-down" (i.e. strung rightie). But I don't think I've ever seen a rightie that strings their bass upside-down!

But, the mantra around is here play whatever and however works best for YOU, so do just that and play the hell out of it!

Marinda likes this.
  16. Hey why not. Jeff Healey played with his guitar lying on his lap, with his fretting hand sitting over the top of the neck.

Linnin and Marinda like this.
  17. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Man! Here's that same guy again! Seriously, why does he keep trying to play bass improperly!? Someone should definitely give him some lessons, ASAP! ;)

18. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

Attached Files:

fretter, IJBurns and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Thar they is!
    This type of bridge should work with reverse strings without an issue.
    Worse case might... MIGHT be swapping the screws or springs around if they aren't the same length?
    That's an easy to do thing with this style.

But the nut! We forget about the nut!
    Can this just be turned around on this bass?
    Like is it flat on the bottom? Symmetrical?

Does your E String ever slip out of place or does the tension keep it where it should be?

Marinda and IJBurns like this.
  20. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    petrus61, Marinda and IJBurns like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021