is there anybody out there?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marinda, May 9, 2017.

1. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

Right on! Thanks! I've played clarinet and used to have sheet music back in school, so I could see if I was making a career in music it would not be tolerated for many reasons! Like bringing a soldering iron to a welding job! But I'm just a recreational player and I've told the ******** my post was to find ppl like me not to go on the "world tour" with tabs an be famous lol

Linnin and web824 like this.
  2. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

Right right! I wasn't trying to be snappy just pointing out that I was typing without aid! And yeah I have seen ppl like that and I was shutting it down before any attack would happen! I'm not anyone of their "girlfriends" they can disrespect because their high testosterone and inadequate issues!! I know this sites members are mostly men and just cause I'm a female I'm an easy target! I hate egotistical dudes with double standards!

web824 likes this.
  3. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I'm genuinely sorry if I came off preachy. My former bandmate and one of my very best friends is a lefty who learned to play a righty guitar upside down, and his guitar playing with the band added a lot when he would play. I just couldn't watch his fingers to figure out what the chord was. :help:

Marinda likes this.
  4. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    I'm not gender motivated on who I pick on :) I love female musicians, btw!!

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ha! True, it IS hard to watch someone's fingers when they don't play like "everybody else". I took lessons from the guy in the video @Marinda posted a few pages and, though he was a great teacher and I learned a lot from him, I went nuts the entire time I studied under him trying to watch his hands to see what he's playing. Not only was he lefty, but he played upside down. I never mastered watching his fingers. :D

Great teacher and great player, though. On multiple instruments.

Marinda likes this.
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Now if I could find a digital bass preamp with a note-check function...

7. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

for what? i dont know what that is besides amp.... im equipment stupid lol

8. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    that dude can play slap bass upside-down!! that is the only area where i see myself having trouble...Thats main reason i tried to learn correctly, but i soon figured out slap is like rubbing your head, and patting your belly!! im not very good at that so i flipped them and i havent really played in like 6months, ( i stopped playing in hopes that the gap in practiceing would make it eaiser learning right way strung bass, and forgetting most songs) i re-learned cemetery gates (well just the main parts) but i knew slapping was not really gonna work out i sucked at it!!! long story short...i seriously played like 10 songs right of the bat! and poopie i havent played since i started bass i remembered!! plus i naturally remembered the parts ive barley played, that i used to mess up on or would have to use the tabs like a cheat-sheet!! it was awesome! mike said i played better than i ever did before ... i think its mostly the ibanez sounds so effin good!! sometime ill post a video

9. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

well said my friend!! that what i keep sayin!!

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I was just kidding and made that up, in reference to your post about getting spell-check functions back up and running. Carry on.

Marinda likes this.
  11. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    thanks!!

12. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

did those pics show up on here?

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yes, Post #58... good job. I was trying to ensure you had the bridge reversed... totally forgot about the nut, though.

Marinda likes this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Keith Horne is a super nice guy too. Here he is playing bass for Luke Bryan. Lefty bass strung righty. I'm a lefty but could never play it strung upside-down like that!
    2029_1112375303290_5781474_n.jpg

HolmeBass likes this.
  15. I have to disagree. Tabs do not contain the note duration information, nor inflection and articulation information that standard notation does.

Also with tabs you can't choose to play the same notes somewhere else on the bass - with standard notation the fingering is up to you. Perhaps when you're first learning having the fingering spoonfed can help, but I like to introduce my students to playing the same thing in different places on the bass very early on.

Sometimes the best way to solve a tricky muting problem is simply to play it somewhere else on fingerboard. If you learn the note names on the fingerboard you'll know that C2 can be played in two places on a standard bass / bass guitar. With tabs it may take you quite a while to realize that 3 on the 3rd string is the exact same note as 8 on the 4th string, if you ever do. I've played with tab players who seemed to be unable to realize this simple concept.

web824 and Marinda like this.
  16. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

i plan to change it out but for now im using folded paper lol, like mcgyver

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

i had to make the groove bigger fore and on my luna bass yes the e was always needing adjusted,, but it was e flat for a while till i messed with the alan wrenchs idk what that part is think its raising the string but finally got it.....now this new ibanez is sweet and its been almost 2 weeks and still holding tune!!! i still plan to buy the new nut tho just because the spacing and i know it will sound better

18. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

thats funny u say that... i have been doing that! sometimes i think a riff sounds too low or just outta bordom ill play it higher just to see what comes out or just goofing around ill try to figure out the guitar riff on the bass cause just playing a bass line of a song alone can get pretty boring!! thats cool!! as far as sheet music, were i ever to learn it i think that from my view they would also be backwards so my stringing i would read it just fine, but i dont plan on reading any, ive been trying to play by ear and use tabs for reference to the song and usually just fill in the gaps or just play the parts i want and leave out the rest or mke up something idk,,, i play as a pasttime hobby

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Improvisation, AND using your resources... great combination, especially for a musician... I like it!

Marinda likes this.
  20. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    Posdibly, but that's one person's opinion, who probably has no or no scientific research to back such the claim "more likely". The trem "some ppl r more likely" might be a more accurate claim without any such exclusive evidence (just speaking of "writing skills".) :)

Marinda likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021