is there anybody out there?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marinda, May 9, 2017.

1. Playing by ear is extremely important. Music is a hearing art.

But I think you misunderstood what I said about playing a riff or line in a different place. I'm talking about *playing the exact same notes/riff* in a different place on the fingerboard, not transposing up or playing a different part. So it sounds the same but you're playing on different frets and strings.

2. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Many people here have echoed the sentiment. Not a scientific study but evidence, none the less :)

3. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    Granted:...but "many" is not conclusive; nor does "many" measure up to the claim of being "most". It can also " possibly"be construed and/or "can" appear to only be an unnecessary pet peeve of "some" persons who tend to be "picky" with issues that little to do with the content of the OP.. ..peace.

4. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Conclusive to what? That people will read and take seriously something well written and easy to understand? I think that's self evident. The entire world has conventions related to this that have nothing to do with pet peeves. I'm sure it's also true in your case. By the way, you wrote and articulated your point very well. Why, if it doesn't matter?

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  5. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    I'm choosing not to continue to around in circles forever on a mute point. Bottom line is that every member of this forum has the right to express their opinions in the best way they are capable of doing. Some persons who choose to make comments might not have the best writing skills or the best device with which to do it with. They shouldn't have tolerate being scorned, ridiculed, embarrassed, or intimated because of their writing inabilities. Persons with great writing skills could be more thoughtful, and compassionate, of those who may not be as fortunate. Focusing on the content is shows more kindness to all herein. I've played with many other musicians over 50 years. Many, of who, were not blessed with great communication skills. They , however, were great, wonderful people to know and talk with in spite of their shortcomings . Many were very knowledgeable, and I learned a lot (rather focusing on their speech capabilities ). All TB members should be allowed to say what's on their mind too. The pompous ones out their may not agree with any of this sentiment. I learned from my 32 years of teaching that it better to listen to what all of my students had to say rather than to criticize their sentence structures and manner of speech and thusly, cause them to become lose self confidence, and to not feel worth expressing themselves. Some other teachers didn't share this sentiment. I came to understand that many of my students (many of who were hispanic, asian, etc) were of other cultures, and did not understand the English manner of verbal and/or written expression. Yet, they felt that they had valid things to say. I go the route if kindness always. God bless. (Others members may continue to, insensitively, go after spelling and grammar issues because they feel that these things are more important.) ...they have that right. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Marinda likes this.
  6. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I was very nice about it. It's actually "moot". :)

web824 likes this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Agreed^^^ That is how I learned in 1970 and that is how I play today.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Born blind and super badass while he was playing! :bassist:

9. But I don't think learning to read notation or learning theory interfere with playing by ear in anyway. They all reinforce each other, even using tab. But I think notation is better than tab for the reasons I menruined, and because tabs I find online are never right. They can get you started on a tune but never tell the whole story like a serious transcription will.

web824 likes this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Here's a couple of musical geniuses.
    [​IMG]
    John Lee Hooker was illiterate. He Eventually learned how to print his name by copying it off of one of his album covers. Never stopped him from being a great musician and bluesman known forever as 'The Father of the Endless Boogie'.
    Keith Richards wasn't schooled in music theory or notation when the Rolling Stones took off 50+ years ago. He did all right. Chuck Berry. Elvis. It goes on.
    A formal education does far more to stymie creativity than to nurture it.

Loring and Marinda like this.
  11. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    It's all good and cool. It's also just one person's opinion. You cant seem to help it...but you're correct (I was expecting you to search and to catch an error. ) I'm not infallible my friend. ..once again,...peace

Marinda and Sixgunn like this.
  12. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

tell me about it!! :/ i learned cemetery gates from tabs, the riff in the chorus after the first one goes like 222 555 777 on E then 3 on A then 012~~~~~on E but ive found its wayyy eaiser 222 E
    000 222 3 on A
    012----on E but trying to retrain my fingers to do that while trying to keep up with mike on guitar is not, cause i learned it the hard way...just an example of why i dont like them...so now i try to just use them for reference/starting point and just play it however... oh and for all the TECHNIQUE TECHNICAL freaks out there,, sometimes i....learn the guitar riffs too cause the bass line sucks in some songs!! OHH shhh muhahaha

13. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

aww that was so nice, i almost got something in my eyes!!! thats inspirational!! im using a wii u which has no spell grammar punctuation check, and trying to reply to all with 2 kids and life in general, i tend to write as fast as i can! sorry im not a loser in moms basement with nothing to do but sit on forums correcting grammar.. but at least he WAS nice and polite about it, ive seen worse and also been the loser talking poopie about others speech ect (to myself though! im not gonna go outta my way like ive seen others do) ppl like that have esteem issues!!

14. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    i think i get what you meant, i think your sayin is eg. cemetery gates i WAS playing riff E) 222 555 777 A) 3 E) 012--- but i think its easier to go E) 222 Á) 000 222 3 É) 012--- damn tabs! so is that what u mean? Same notes on diff frets/ strings. or do you mean same fingering just higher up on the neck?

either way ive been experimental with both, also when mike plays in his guitar room i stay in our room, and just try to play something that matches his endless song, which is bunch of songs faded into one after another, with some poopie he makes up inbetween.!! lol its like a box of chocolates....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  15. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    well im a righty, so i take a right hand and string it left, play it right!! (only cause left hand bass are hard to find and expensive) but if i had a left bass i would play it fine right hand! my bf thinks imcrazy!! but he also thinks it awesome and is flabbergasted that i can play it lol

16. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    hey for anyone still following this thread, or interested im going to make a video soon for you all to see, before i do this id like to remind everyone, im just a recreational player, NOT in a band, never going to be, just my hobby!! and im not very good, i dont play whole songs, sometimes i leave poopie out! im not looking for reviews, im just posting one cause the thread kinda blew up more than i expected!! i thought id get a few comments and that would be that! but after all the compliments, complaints, and just for the curious ones... i feel everyone has earned it!! again im self taught!! and still have a LONG way to go and a LOT to learn!!! so no haters!! idk when but soon ill make one of all the songs i know....remix compilation its bass so dont expect whole songs that would be long and boring! love, peace, & chicken grease!

17. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    so anyone know of any RIGHT-HAND players with upside-down strings?? cause im looking for anyone who plays like i do... im suprised to see all the upside-downers!! but they r all leftys!! still cool watching them play is like a mirror to me. lol so as far as learning styles and how they do certain things it almost perfect! but im still trying to find anyone thats like me! thanks!

18. The former; same notes on diff frets/strings. Tab sort of robs you of that freedom until you decipher in terms of notes and "re-learn" it. Musical notes leave that freedom entirely intact. Not a reason to not use tabs, but I feel it is a good reason to work on standard notation. It's not that much more difficult in the long run.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Marinda likes this.
  19. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    I could agree with just about all you were saying untill you got to the final bias statement that "A formal education does more to stymie creativity than to nuture it". All of my 72yrs of being alive has seen the opposite. If that statement were to be true most music education programs would be senseless. There an endless list of great musicians who studied at Juliard, Berklee, etc., who were great legends because of their creativity, study, and talent. People who knock one form of musical training do a diservice advising possible upcoming musicians. Perhaps you never were musically educated and now are determined to "hate" on those who are, might desire to seek music education to "enhance" their creativity. ..it is possible. It might be more accurate to use the words "sometimes", "often", may, might, etc rather to indicate "your unsubstantiated opinion" as being an "absolute".

Marinda likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    "You Get Nothing With Your College Degree" ~ Frank Zappa

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021